• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplement intolerance?

jjxx

Perhaps a little off-topic but it continues the reasoning above:

Interestingly the lack of pancreatic enzymes is linked with IBS-D, so this is why I think that for us with slow motility there is a problem with bile flow.
That's why I am looking for a gentle liver/gallbladder flush. Mine must be badly congested.

jjxx

That is 800 mg.

Thanks for correcting me, I must be too tired to think straight. I wish I can get away with your tiny dosage. My high dosage of B5 seems like doing some work for me, for instance, I am able to quickly correct my circadian rhythm, which I have been struggling for a long time if not life time as well as a fresh tenderness around my kidney areas, my adrenals are crying for attention. Same as P5P, which I am most likely deficient, I rely on large dose to sustain dream recalling. However, I do experience a sense of "exhaustion" from high dose of P5P, sort of like melatonin is dominating while seratonin is hiding. Have you experience something similar? Can you help me disect it?

jjxx

I have been completely gas-free for some years, than last year after abx this changed and seems to have become more "normal". However I am completely intolerant to resistant starch or other prebiotics - anything that increases methyl donors (butyrate) creates uric acid for me (methyl donors activate B2 which turns purines into UA).
What do you experience after RS? After some thought, I guess my unusual reaction to RS indicates that I have bacteria in my SI are capable of break down RS so it would not set at the end of LI fermenting like a lot of people do.

Gondwanaland

That's why I am looking for a gentle liver/gallbladder flush. Mine must be badly congested.
Everything I tried worked in the 1st time I took and then stopped working (apple juice, lemon juice, dandelion greens, milk thistle extract)
B5 seems like doing some work for me, for instance, I am able to quickly correct my circadian rhythm, which I have been struggling for a long time if not life time as well as a fresh tenderness around my kidney areas, my adrenals are crying for attention.
B5 helps me wiht that too, I must take it with dinner or at bedtime since it makes me very sleepy. I usually take 3 mg, but it doesn't always work, I must cycle it or combine it with B2, B6 and magnesium, but again the combo doesn't alwyas work, then i focus on high tryptophan spices on dinner (parsley + mustard à l'ancienne with seeds), cranberries also work (mannose protects the urinary tract)
I do experience a sense of "exhaustion" from high dose of P5P, sort of like melatonin is dominating while seratonin is hiding. Have you experience something similar?
My experience with P5P lasted 2 weeks (at 6 mg/daily) and then I became intolerant to it. Luckily it apparently unblocked some receptors and I started feeling benefits from plain B6. If I knew what was going to happen from taking P5P I would have taken it at much lower dose and only every other day or 2-3x weekly. At first I felt great (like "wow this is how it feels when you get energy from the food you eat!"), then it felt wonderful, then it felt hyperthyroid and then hypothyroid. Then if I took just a cromb (~1 mg) I felt hypothyroid, so I stopped taking it altogether.
What do you experience after RS?
I think that it creates butyrate and since butyrate is a methyl donor, it activates B2 and I get increased uric acid (joint pain).

jjxx

Everything I tried worked in the 1st time I took and then stopped working (apple juice, lemon juice, dandelion greens, milk thistle extract)

B5 helps me wiht that too, I must take it with dinner or at bedtime since it makes me very sleepy. I usually take 3 mg, but it doesn't always work, I must cycle it or combine it with B2, B6 and magnesium, but again the combo doesn't alwyas work, then i focus on high tryptophan spices on dinner (parsley + mustard à l'ancienne with seeds), cranberries also work (mannose protects the urinary tract)

My experience with P5P lasted 2 weeks (at 6 mg/daily) and then I became intolerant to it. Luckily it apparently unblocked some receptors and I started feeling benefits from plain B6. If I knew what was going to happen from taking P5P I would have taken it at much lower dose and only every other day or 2-3x weekly. At first I felt great (like "wow this is how it feels when you get energy from the food you eat!"), then it felt wonderful, then it felt hyperthyroid and then hypothyroid. Then if I took just a cromb (~1 mg) I felt hypothyroid, so I stopped taking it altogether.

I think that it creates butyrate and since butyrate is a methyl donor, it activates B2 and I get increased uric acid (joint pain).
Wow, you are taking miniature dosage and experiencing something out of proportion imho. Are you histapenia? Histapenia can be extremely sensitive to chemicals but not to seasonal allergens. I have low histamine, experiencing no allergy no sensitivity to chemicals either. Histapenia or histadelia (high histamine), I am still confused.

As for the flush, I have not started it since I consider myself still quite weak at this point. I would like to wait for a month or two after building some more strength. I am sure you are aware of adding castor oil topicallly around liver area during the process, and enema type of thorough cleasing afterwards are greatly beneficial for the flush.

Gondwanaland

Are you histapenia? Histapenia can be extremely sensitive to chemicals but not to seasonal allergens.
I think I am!

jjxx I am experiencing great energy improvement from digestive enzymes, esp. pancreatin & proteases, just not sure about their safety (google estrogen protease).

jjxx

I think I am!

jjxx I am experiencing great energy improvement from digestive enzymes, esp. pancreatin & proteases, just not sure about their safety (google estrogen protease).
That's great for you! I do enjoy some benefit of digestive enzymes too, but I wish I could experience your dramatic improvement from them. My malabsorption has done enough damage on me for decades, causing severe anemia which somehow doesn't show on my blood test most of times. As one sign, my hair is thinning and splitting at end persistantly. I am starting to supplement Zinc now and hopefully I can benefit from it too. And, hydrolyzed whey protein powder in small amount 10g at a time gives me noticeable boost.
I will look into estrogen protease. My instinct tells me everything has side effect, it's a matter of balance.

Gondwanaland

Zinc now and hopefully I can benefit from it too. And, hydrolyzed whey protein powder in small amount 10g at a time gives me noticeable boost.
Please report back.

The effect I got from Zinc was the same as from progesterone.

Back in 2015 I took isolated whey (hydrolyzed anything is rich in glutamate, beware) and used to get a boost from it too (used to take 1-2 teaspoons daily), but ended up with thickening of the hip joint...

Now from taking a mix of proteases I see that my pain comes from undigested protein.

Gondwanaland

As for the flush, I have not started it since I consider myself still quite weak at this point. I would like to wait for a month or two after building some more strength. I am sure you are aware of adding castor oil topicallly around liver area during the process, and enema type of thorough cleasing afterwards are greatly beneficial for the flush.
Please start a thread for it and tag me if you feel like discussing the protocols in more detail. I have never done it but have considering a lot lately.

jjxx

Please report back.

The effect I got from Zinc was the same as from progesterone.

Back in 2015 I took isolated whey (hydrolyzed anything is rich in glutamate, beware) and used to get a boost from it too (used to take 1-2 teaspoons daily), but ended up with thickening of the hip joint...

Now from taking a mix of proteases I see that my pain comes from undigested protein.
I can totally relate to undigested protein causing pain, as well as anxiety, insomnia and irratability in my case. Sorry to hear your reaction from Zinc. It seems like we are "the opposite" in many cases: same symptoms can possibly result from different or even opposite causes.

Yes, I will watch out how my body reacting to glutamate along the road, as for now it seems all positive to me: my body needs easily assimilated protein badly at this point of time.

jjxx

Please start a thread for it and tag me if you feel like discussing the protocols in more detail. I have never done it but have considering a lot lately.
Yes I will as soon as I lay some groundwork for my other equally if not more urgent health issues.

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
I think I have an idea what exactly causes the elevated caloric intake when supplementing with lecithin: it is most likely the phosphatidylethanolamine in it.
This post is an update to my previous post on how to increase caloric and protein intake by transdermal lecithin, which describes the method and the effect.

I always wondered how lecithin can cause a huge effect in me on top of AGP-choline. Most people see choline as the active ingredient in lecithin. Then @Gondwanaland pointed me to the fact that other things in lecithin are also really useful.

15g Fearn lecithin contain:
  • Phosphatidylcholine 3450 mg
  • Phosphatidylethanolamine 3000 mg
  • Phosphatidylinositol 2100 mg
My reasons why I believe in the phosphatidylethanolamine and not the phosphatidylcholine or the phosphatidylinositol to likely not cause the effect in me:
  • I am supplementing since months with my current standard dose of 300mg AGP-choline. If there was any such effect from choline, I surely had more than enough time to get that.
  • I checked my Spectracell test results. (some more words on what this is here). Both choline and inositol were normal before starting lecithin. Phosphatidylethanolamine was not measured.
  • Just add "phosphatidylethanolamine vldl" into google and see the first publications. They say: phosphatidylethanolamine is needed for production of very low density lipoprotein VLDL from the liver. This is what transports dietary fat in the blood stream to the cells!
  • While choline is equally needed for VLDL synthesis (google: "choline vldl"), These effects could be additive or even that both are necessary. I did not find research on how the effects of choline and phosphatidylethanolamine combine. Would be curious to know.
  • I am on a ketogenic diet. In me, the elevated caloric intake is fat: butter, coconut oil and olive oil. So this s why fat transport is important
Some unrelated practical updates:
  • Fearn lecithin is damn unpractical to use transdermally as it comes in granules. I tried NOW liquid lecithin, but it smells and has much less effect, so I needed to smear 3x per day for same effect as 1x Fearn lecithin. In any case, having the granules sit in oil for some hours softens them, so mixing them to a paste goes then much better. Anyone having better methods let us know!
  • From Fearn lecithin, I have a very pleasant additional effect: it somehow makes me stretch a lot. Imagine it like this: Many times a day, I get a happy impulse to stretch my body. Not like consciously doing some yoga exercise, but spontaneously there is a strong impulse to stretch and it feels forceful and overwhelmingly happy❣❣❣ I do not do this but kinda an animal awakens and yeeeaaaah :) :) Cant describe it better. Or maybe I can: it is like living not 80% in my mind and only the remaining 20% in my body, but l live in both simultaneously. Also I noticed that I am more spontaneous and more balanced at the same time in a bodily sense, something I experience when doing sports. If you try transdermal lecithine, please let me know: do you get "happy stretching"? I am so curious!
  • This effect made me increase from 1x2mL transdermal Fearn lecithin diluted in 5mL borage oil to 4x the same ( ➞ many dirty t-shirts as I smear it on chest :) :) ). Each smearing is followed by a smearing of olive oil an hour later. Food intake did not increase further, only this "happy stretching" increased.
  • Protein intake decreased to the level before. I am not sure why this is. a) I experimented a big lot recently with other things and that messed up my digestion many times (the increased caloric intake helped great deals to recover faster. But protein appetite definitively suffered) b) Loss of effect on protein intake? Against b) my arguments are the continued effects on happy stretching and caloric intake. We will definitively only know if other people report their experiences after some weeks on lecithine. Please report back!

Last edited:

jjxx

@Lolinda You can mix lecithin and oil in a blender. I have not experienced any stretching effect yet. If ever, I shall let you know.

Ravn

Very interested in taking supplements transdermally due to gut issues with many when taking orally. Does anyone know of a comprehensive list over which supplements are actually taken up transdermally and which are not?
And is there any research into this?
Also into the different methods of transdermal application, e.g. is uptake better for liquid lecithin or powder from cut-open capsules mixed with water, or mixed with oil? Do different types of lecithin (sunflower, soy, alpha-gpc etc) absorb differently?
The same questions would apply to other supplements as well, that's why a comprehensive list would be so useful.

Very interested in taking supplements transdermally due to gut issues with many when taking orally. Does anyone know of a comprehensive list over which supplements are actually taken up transdermally and which are not?
And is there any research into this?
Also into the different methods of transdermal application, e.g. is uptake better for liquid lecithin or powder from cut-open capsules mixed with water, or mixed with oil? Do different types of lecithin (sunflower, soy, alpha-gpc etc) absorb differently?
The same questions would apply to other supplements as well, that's why a comprehensive list would be so useful.
I don't remember seeing a thread here dedicated to listing them all. That would make an impressive resource.

I have to do that all the time. I can tell you all these absorb topically to varying degrees:
* vitamin d (20%?) - oil
* niacinamide (90%?) - water spray - some other b vitamins may work this way
* magnesium chloride - gel works best
* various steroids - oil
that's all I got.