• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplement intolerance?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Could you have MCAS? a lot of people with this get the kind of symptoms you mention and would most typically be caused by supplements, drugs and herbs, but not vitamins.

I tired Curcumin capsules and it gave me a violent almost immediate stomach reaction that was extremely unpleasant - I wouldn't take it again.

@JaimeS - as you mentioned it it reminded me to tell you that my left ribcage lumpy soreness has been a problem again recently while I am pulsing rifaximin. I haven't noticed it in a long time, but also haven't taken abx in a long time.... just thought you might like to know.

Gondwanaland

Turmeric is a methyl donor and gives me gouty symptoms
AND
is high oxalate and gives me gouty symptoms
AND
is high oxalate and inhibits iron and gives me oxalate symptoms /anemia

I used to love curry once :(

Grigor

I can't handle supplements either. I'm trying to take a full Carnitine from Sigma Tau. It's taking me about 2 months. Small pieces.
But honestly everything does. I think it might be due to cortisol. Many supplements lower the cortisol??

Gondwanaland

@Gondwanaland -- where in the world did you read that turmeric is a methyl donor? That doesn't make any sense to my mushy brain...
It's in lists of methy donors around the net...
https://www.facebook.com/mthfralliance1/posts/530147490434986
http://resqua.com/702188759/any-idea-what-methyl-donors-are
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Outcomes-Non-CV-Autism-Methyl Cycle.htm
supplements that provide methyl groups, including methyl-B12, MSM, TMG, DMG, curcumin, melatonin, caffeinated tea, quercetin, and the RNA products Mood D, Mood focus or SAMe

JaimeS

Does make sense that it would be....

molecules-19-11679-g006.png

From http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/19/8/11679/htm

dannybex

I have a feeling those are just regurgitations from the Heartfixer (Yasko-related) site. I can't find any confirmation that any of the foods listed are methyl donors. This isn't to say that these compounds don't affect mood or neurotransimitters, but they're not methyl donors -- they don't have a methyl group -- at least as far as I could find.

Nor is melatonin -- it's a product (in part) of methylation.

Gondwanaland

I have a feeling those are just regurgitations from the Heartfixer (Yasko-related) site. I can't find any confirmation that any of the foods listed are methyl donors. This isn't to say that these compounds don't affect mood or neurotransimitters, but they're not methyl donors -- they don't have a methyl group -- at least as far as I could find.

Nor is melatonin -- it's a product (in part) of methylation.
They ARE methyl donors:
Does make sense that it would be....

molecules-19-11679-g006.png

From http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/19/8/11679/htm
See? 2 methyl groups per molecule of curcumin.
Melatonin has been working better for me lately than MB12, I suspect it has even more methyl groups than MB12. I wake up completely pain free when I take it.

Crux

Melatonin has been working better for me lately than MB12, I suspect it has even more methyl groups than MB12. I wake up completely pain free when I take it.

Melatonin reduces nitric oxide production, which could be one reason for painlessness.:woot:

I remember, at one time, you wrote about having an intolerance to nitrates, NO donors.:ill:

Gondwanaland

Melatonin reduces nitric oxide production, which could be one reason for painlessness.:woot:

I remember, at one time, you wrote about having an intolerance to nitrates, NO donors.:ill:
Yes, when I was at my worst (thanks to a very low carb diet + methylfolate= acidosis)... I would even react to water back then :eek:

Crux

Yes, when I was at my worst (thanks to a very low carb diet + methylfolate= acidosis)... I would even react to water back then :eek:

I couldn't tolerate vlc either, just lower carb now.

Folate was my 'neurotoxin' for a time, even methylfolate. Finally realized it was elevated in serum because gut bacteria were cranking it out. sibo.

Also, folate is used by the body to produce nitric oxide for defense. I believe I was overproducing NO too. More neurotoxin. Migraines and generalized pain were the result.

Things have settled for now. I took a small amount of folate yesterday. Nothing bad happened.

Kathevans

Ok @Gondwanaland, @Crux, @JaimeS Right up front, I'm not the person who understands the chemistry behind all this, but I'm trying, mostly by trial and error and how my body feels to figure out a way out of where I've come to rest--so to speak, not in a great way!

The intersection of folate (neurtoxicity/inflammation), B2 and the rib soreness rings a gong for me.

I've been ramping up B2 fairly slowly (it was the only B vitamin I was actually deficient on last year when I had an OAT test) and trying to keep other things relatively low (not the B12 which is a steady 2,000mcg/day). Only when I stopped the folate for 6 days and tried yesterday to add 400 mcg back into my regimen did I feel just how much the B2 affected the relative strength of the folate. 400 mcg never felt so wild. Fun at first with more energy and light-heartedness and less pain. Then slowly the folate deficiency symptoms, the loose stool, IBS and at night when I couldn't sleep past an initial hour and a half, aching in the Dupytrens contracture in both hands.

Not pleasant.

I've had the rib sore spots for years. My gyn called the overall chest soreness costochondritis and I recall ppodjahski saying last year that taking FMN ultimately helped his costochondritis to go away--at least I thought he was referring to this symptom.

As to melatonin. Before I was sick it gave me wild dreams and I stayed away from it. Now, if I'm not wired, I can tolerate about 1/3 mg, a nibble really, and it does help (though at that amount I never noticed if it actually had an effect on pain levels) with sleep. If I take it and I'm wired, it gives me a very heavy chest feeling and slow breathing--sleep-like reactions, but with my mind still awake. Not particularly pleasant.

Now I'm staring at a bottle of Monolauren 600mg, given to me by my alternadoc for EBV and Herpes HHV6, among other stuff, probably, and wondering how much I ought to divide a cap into to see if I tolerate it. Years ago when I ramped up on coconut oil, I ended up with a pounding heart at night--though it's altogether possible that this had to do with what might have begun all my problems: folic acid...before I knew I needed to have B12 as a substrate, and probably the methyl form as well. I'd been on folic acid alone since I was 19 and the doctor who discovered my mother had taken DES when she was pregnant with me said I ought to be on 400-800mcg/day.

And then I think my inflammation began a slow creep...

I don't know if I'm joining any dots or not.