• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Suggestions wanted now that PheniTropic (for sleep) is off the market

Hello,

My daughter finds some minor benefit in falling asleep (and staying asleep) with a phenylated GABA product call PheniTropic. I believe that its effect is due to its ability to cross the blood/brain barrier. Unfortunately, the FDA is declared that this product needs to be taken off the market since it is not a pure amino acid, and therefore, can be labelled as a dietary supplement.

Have others been on this supplement and have you had any success with alternative products now that this is unavailable? There is a similar product on the market, called Kavinace, but that was taken off the market too.

I could list a long list of sups my daughter has tried (with no improvement), but I thought I'd just ask this forum if there is anything that helps "quiet things down" to enable her to get any sort of decent sleep.

Thanks in advance.
Scotty81

Shoshana

Northern USA
HI @Scotty81
you might get more replies if you post this question of yours, in another section,
such as MembersOnly CFS/ME Discussion .

Also I recently noticed some interesting sleep suggestions within and throughout, the following thread. Might be worth a look. I hope you find something that helps your daughter!

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/rx-sleeping-meds-to-seek-avoid.76526/#post-2210161

I find l-theonine helpful, at doses of 100 or 200 mg small capsules. It is the non-caffeine relaxation component of tea.
I also find l-lysine to have a relaxing effect.

Some people take valerian, or melatonin, to aid sleep.
Valerian needs to be limited as it might have a depressant effect. But a small dose might help.

Just ideas for you to consider. I hope you get others.
Oh, magnesium?

Hi @Shoshana

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I did read that with other meds, there is the risk of them not being effective after a while or withdrawal. So, i guess that one has to choose/try wisely.

I like your suggestion of moving this to another forum, but here's a stupid question. Should I copy my question to the other forum (which I can do easily), or do I move the posting (which I don't know how to do, or even know if it can be done).

Shoshana

Northern USA
Definitely not a stupid question.
My opinion is that in this situation,it would be best, to just leave this one here, where some might see it and reply for you.

And to start a new one, in another section, with different wordings, but the same general question.
Then some others would see it there, and possibly give you additional responses.

Perhaps "Safer sleep suggestions than meds" or something else.

Also would help to give some general age group of your daughter, in the posts.

Shoshana

Northern USA
By the way, I think that only a moderator could actually "move" a post for you.

And identical posts in different forums is not the best, but some similar one is sometimes helpful.

I am thinking of you and your daughter.

Shoshana

Northern USA
Hi @Scotty81
I was thinking that there were other recommendations in other threads, in the past,
(but I don't know how to find them)

wherein members were listing some supplements that helped people with sleep, and even though I am sure you have had your daughter already try some of them, there might be one you hadn't, or one you forgot that you could re-try, now.
(If something that is still on the market had worked for her sometime in the past and stopped working for her, then after this break from it, it might work again)

I think that niacin, was included in members' past suggestions, , and l-theonine, and l-lysine, and vitamin c, and avoiding msg or glutamines, and also, magnesium (without calcium ) as options to try , as well as 5-htp has helped some people.

I m just adding ideas for you, as well as my reply here, bumps your topic up, on the list of recent posts. So other members who utilize that feature might notice your thread here.

invisiblejungle

Hello,

My daughter finds some minor benefit in falling asleep (and staying asleep) with a phenylated GABA product call PheniTropic. I believe that its effect is due to its ability to cross the blood/brain barrier. Unfortunately, the FDA is declared that this product needs to be taken off the market since it is not a pure amino acid, and therefore, can be labelled as a dietary supplement.

Have others been on this supplement and have you had any success with alternative products now that this is unavailable? There is a similar product on the market, called Kavinace, but that was taken off the market too.

I could list a long list of sups my daughter has tried (with no improvement), but I thought I'd just ask this forum if there is anything that helps "quiet things down" to enable her to get any sort of decent sleep.

Thanks in advance.
Scotty81

Hello Scotty,

I looked up PheniTropic, and it looks like the main ingredient is phenibut. Phenibut is available from many sources; they just can't explicitly label it as a dietary supplement.

I get phenibut from Liftmode:
https://liftmode.com/calming/phenibut.html

By the way, phenibut is a gabapentinoid, a class of medications that includes Neurontin and Lyrica. So if your daughter likes phenibut, it might be worth trying these other meds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabapentinoid