• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Success on Valacyclovir at 3.5 Months!! - Plus some Questions...

sometexan84

Might as well share my Valtrex experience here as well.

TL;DR - Feel great! Still very early on though.

Almost 7 weeks into Valacyclovir. Not a lot happened. Then symptoms got much worse all of a sudden. Exactly 6 wks in, had 5 consecutive bedridden days, which is a record for me. Days 4-5 of which included some nausea and headaches, which is not normal for me. But, yesterday, started feeling slightly better. And today, the fatigue lifted completely.

Again, it's still very early. But I feel like I JUST went through (or GOT through) the Herxheimer-like reaction (call it what you will), with the temporary worsening of symptoms a few weeks in. And like @hopeandsparkles mentioned, this effect fits exactly w/ what Lerner said, and exactly what the info here says from Dr Myhill (which @hopeandsparkles linked to, but I'll add it again here - https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Valacyclovir_in_the_treatment_of_post_viral_fatigue_syndrome). At least it's been this way for me.

btw, I've been doing 1.5 grams/day (3x 500mg). Increased to 2.0 grams/day (4x 500mg) a couple weeks ago. I have high EBV titers (no other viruses detected thus far). I'm 170 lb.

sometexan84

It's only been 2 months and 4 days so far. But, I haven't had any major bedridden experiences, since what I described before. Maybe slightly less PEM. I'd say either same or ever so slightly better since the time of my last post.

At some point, I'll be retesting my EBV levels, hoping to see a decrease in Early Antigen.

I should probably edit my last post (not sure how though). Because I've since found chronic active Echovirus 11, and possible active Chlamydia pneumoniae.

EddieB

That is great news, good for you!

I’m seeing an immunologist that is not that experienced with cfs, but has offered to prescribe me Valacyclovir at 500 mg 2x day, isn’t comfortable going any higher for now. I’m don’t know if that’s going to be enough to have the desired effect. I’m 150 lbs.

Oxymatrine is used for treatment of the echovirus, not sure if you can treat both at the same time. I did entero/echo testing through ARUP lab recently, came back all negative. My EBV has consistently been sky high, no hh6 or cmv. So I think that make me a candidate for the valtrex.

To edit, click the “edit” below your post, make your changes, the hit save.

Last edited:

sometexan84

I think the edit button maybe goes away after a time?

I think it's important to be taking the Valtrex 3 or 4 times a day. So that it stays effective in your system a bit more constantly.

EddieB

Just found this, in one of Hip’s posts...
In non-responders to Valtrex, Dr Lerner would sometimes add cimetidine (500 mg twice daily) or probenecid (500 mg twice daily), which potentiate blood concentrations of this antiviral drug.
Anyone tried it?

Last edited:

EddieB

We've discussed this. They have a large anti-inflammatory effect that are most likely causing the improvement and are very expensive. Have you tried a low inflammation diet and time release curcumin which is also anti-inflammatory?
I’m on a pretty restricted diet. My stomach can’t handle the curcumin.

According to my immunologist, my C reactive protein is normal, indicating inflammation is low. Not sure if that’s an accurate indicator for this.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I’m on a pretty restricted diet. My stomach can’t handle the curcumin.

According to my immunologist, my C reactive protein is normal, indicating inflammation is low. Not sure if that’s an accurate indicator for this.

This study shows about 80% sensitivity for cholecystitis inflammation. Tissue areas that are painful (dolor) when you press on them, have signs of swelling (ie. increasing hat size, tigher shoes-tumor), and increased redness (rubor) suggest inflammation. Some viruses (EBV) trigger chronic inflammation by upregulating Nf-kb. I had all of these and they were helped greatly doing this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5908901/