• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Subluxed axis (C2 vertebre) in neck confirmed. What now?

My axis (C2) is subluxed, rotated and misaligned. It was confirmed by supine MRI. I met a neurologist who think this is the root to my symptoms. She said I would probably not be a candidate for surgery since my symptoms are not severe. Since I got covid-19 in april last year I have mild POTS, problems with temperature regulation, some GI-issues, headaches and about 20 other minor symptoms.

I have a couple of questions.

Does a subluxed/misaligned/rotated axis indicate bigger issues? Like CCI/AAI?

Maybe upright MRI would be good but that’s not possible here in Sweden. Should I travel to get it?

Should I look for other treatments than surgery now? Can this be corrected without surgery if I’m very lucky? I would probably have to travel to another country to get this treatment too.

I don’t have EDS according to the doctor but I clearly have had significant changes to my connective tissue since covid. The doc agrees that covid probably caused my neck injury direct or indirect.

(I have asked the same questions in the Facebook-group ME/CFS+ Brain and spine.)

andyguitar

She said I would probably not be a candidate for surgery since my symptoms are not severe.
In the UK surgery is only done when other treatments have failed.
Should I look for other treatments than surgery now? Can this be corrected without surgery if I’m very lucky?
You need to see a pysiotherapist. Your symptoms might improve a bit (or a lot) just by having exercises to improve the strenght of the muscles in your neck.
Does a subluxed/misaligned/rotated axis indicate bigger issues? Like CCI/AAI?
Maybe maybe not.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I have had a lot of success with chiropractic but some people seem to be horrified at the prospect. Many times my chiropractor is the only one who can get me out of pain.

That was also the same with my mom with the exception that our chiropractor would not work on her rib cage that much and she had subluxed ribs as well. Those actually hurt her worse than the back pain.

We finally found a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) who would adjust those. So one day we would go to the chiropractor for her spine and then a day or two later go to the DO for the ribs. With this practice she had wonderfully long stretches without pain.

Over the years I've had 4 chiropractors--2 good ones and 2 bad ones. The ones that analyzed my entire spine and manually adjusted everything that was needed at each visit do the best at pain relief.

One note, many DOs don't do adjustments anymore so if you wanted to find one you would need to enquire when calling their office on whether the doctor does those or not. (At least that's how it is here in the US now.)

I have had a lot of success with chiropractic but some people seem to be horrified at the prospect. Many times my chiropractor is the only one who can get me out of pain.
I talked to a chiropractor today who only works with upper cervical problems. The doc said that I should not see any chiropractor at all so I’m not sure. But I think I will try at least.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
The doc said that I should not see any chiropractor at all so I’m not sure.

Did he explain why he thought this? Was he able to view the MRI or the report? Was he basing his assessment on that?

My chiropractor is very honest and will tell someone when they should go in another direction especially if he sees something on the images that concerns him so maybe with viewing the reports???

Did he explain why he thought this? Was he able to view the MRI or the report? Was he basing his assessment on that?
Not really. Just that it is ”a sensitive area”. The chiropractor I talked to said he works with that area every day all day, but he would be happy to look at my MRI before treatment to see if he sees anything that looks bad.

andyguitar

Not really. Just that it is ”a sensitive area”. The chiropractor I talked to said he works with that area every day all day, but he would be happy to look at my MRI before treatment to see if he sees anything that looks bad.
The Doc probably thinks that chiropractic always uses a lot of force in treatment. But it does'nt have to be like that.