• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study of iPad Use and the Effect on Neck and Shoulders

Wally

What a pain: The iPad neck plagues women more
Posture -- not screen time -- is biggest factor behind neck and shoulder pain
Date:
June 20, 2018
Source:
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Summary:
Gender and posture -- not screen time -- are biggest factors behind developing 'iPad neck' and shoulder pain, new study finds.

Most of my time spent reading is in a reclining position with an iPad. I am sure the position I use to read is not optimal for preventing muscle strain, but this position is used out of necessary. Perhaps some clever individual will come up with a lightweight, inexpensive gadget for iPads/tablets that could address this issue. Maybe it already exists? I imagine a smal weighted stand with a flexible hose like attachment that could bend, raise and lower the iPad to a perfect viewing angle for your eyes, neck and shoulders wherever this portable device may be used. It would be great if it could also be used with a cell phone.

Edit - So far I have found tablet stands that can clip onto a desk or headboard or other pieces of furniture, but I am thinking of a weighed stand that can sit on top of a bed, on a couch or low on the floor (weighted bottom of stand would be short and compact). Maybe the stand could have two options that could screw off and on - weighted bottom or a clip. I imagine that the gooseneck flexible hose would be retractable to allow maximum flexibility for height and angle adjustments and make it easy to transport or store.

Last edited: