• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study linking CFS/ME to abnormality in blood pressure regulation

Arius

What do folks make of this?

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/27/...drome-abnormality-control-blood-pressure.html

It's an old study, but it suggests that treating the blood pressure issue might significantly improve symptoms. I am skeptical.

The article does say that the medications that they used to treat the test subjects also "block the body's response to adrenaline"; I'm wondering if this might explain the therapeutic benefit of those drugs?

Last edited:

andyguitar

Just had a look at some of the drugs mentioned in the study @Arius and remember reading about this years ago. My conclusion today is the same as then. It is probably impossible to determine what exactly is going on. But as it seems to be of use it is probably worth a go. But Fludrocortisone is a steroid so needs to be used with caution. I would'nt try self-medicating with it. If you have a Doc try showing them the article. Hope your post gets lots of views as useful info from the past is often forgotten about.

jesse's mom

I am currently having really wacky blood pressure. I began to realize it when my DO had bloodwork and I have a severe vitamin D deficiency. She prescribed a dose of 50,000 iu of vitamin D3. That evening I started passing out during conversations, just dropping. My blood pressure was super low and I had to add salt and drink lots of water to get it back up.

I had to start supplementing my Vit D3 with baby drops and gradually, over months have tirated up this hormone to 1,000 iu daily. I take my blood pressure every hour or so over these months.

It will go really high, as in heart attack or stroke zone from taking a shower and washing my hair if I am standing. The past two weeks have been filled with a tilt table test, meeting a new cardiologist.
He put me on a blood pressure medication last week.

I am getting a nuclear stress test done tomorrow. This test takes four hours! I have not been up and out this long in over a year... I am a bit nervous! I really want to get to bottom of the severe highs and lows in my blood pressure and heart rate. I may have some blocked arteries, or calcification.

I can report that as I can tolerate more Vit D3 I feel better overall. Light sensitivity is less, tolderating more face to face conversation and my crashes are not lasting as long. I am sitting up more during the day and for the most part sleeping better at night.

If you like I will keep you posted on my journey.

andyguitar

As you have recently started taking Meds for blood pressure how about telling us what you are taking? Its quite a while scince I read up on the positive effects of some blood pressure drugs on CFS and having had another quick look on the net it looks promising. But as always I take reports like "When my blood pressure was fixed so was my CFS!!!" with a pinch af salt. Just a pinch. Don't want to effect my blood pressure!

jesse's mom

@andyguitar It is my fourth day taking Amlodipine Besylate 2.5MG, generic for Norvasc.

I don't think this is going to cure my ME/CFS but if I can get this piece working better, maybe I can improve.

I have read over and over that patients like us tend to die earlier due to heart problems. My new cardio Dr told me he thinks our illness is viral and can attack organs.

If I could get back to being able to walk outside, grocery shop, and go fishing. . Maybe even the occasional concert I will be so pleased!

Float

I'd say that much of my fatigue is caused by hypo perfusion of blood to brain. Any sustained low blood pressure situation reduces glucose and oxygen to my noggin.
Noggin goes on strike and demands I lay down until it feels refreshed.
At its worst (I'm sure you can relate ) I can't speak, I just get home lie down and 'pass out ' into an instant sleep that is not disturbed by noise.
I count myself lucky that it is not full POTS . I have always been able to get somewhere to lie down.

In a healthy population, exercise is documented to lower resting blood pressure. During exercise BP goes up, but the cumulative after effects are a lower BP.
So when I feel okay and go for a walk , the after effect is lower blood pressure even when sitting. Hence one of the reasons cognition suffers or feels very demanding and more tiring.

When I stand up my blood pressure is low but also pulse pressure goes very small (difference between systolic and diastolic ). For instance 74/63 ! Pulse pressure is 11. I believe it's better to have a pulse pressure of 30.
For me the low blood pressure is a (the?) major disabler.

Re adrenaline. When Bp low and I'm on my feet , my heart rate increases (140 highest I've seen it standing motionless ). I am guessing the body has squirted adrenaline to compensate for the low blood pressure ..to keep the brain alive. Cue feelings of anxiety, breathlessness and more burnout.

When the docs told me there was nothing wrong with me, I pushed on with my active lifestyle when I could. As I got sicker I was even working at a standing desk! No wonder I was trashed!

When I overdo it (walk stand ) BP disables , fatigue kicks in, glands up , sore throat, bed.
My o2 glucose starved noggin makes my body lie down so it can refresh
That's the way I see it

Its worse mendturally so I'm also looking at that relationship but haven't solved it yet
I'm taking gotu kola as an experiment as its good for venous blood return (apparently ).
When I'm out of gotu kola if it hasn't been amazing then I'll try glychirrized licorice.
It has similar effects to fludrocortisone on sodium. But you must use GLYCHIRRIZED!
Most licorice supplements are de glychirrized because it raises BP otherwise and that's dangerous in your average population.

Last edited:

ljimbo423

When I'm out of gotu kola if it hasn't been amazing then I'll try glychirrized licorice.
It has similar effects to fludrocortisone on sodium. But you must use GLYCHIRRIZED!
Most licorice supplements are de glychirrized because it raises BP otherwise and that's dangerous in your average population.

You may already know this but licorice root (with glycyrrhizin not deglycyrrhizinated). Causes high blood pressure by draining the body of potassium.

So supplementing with potassium should prevent high blood pressure.:)

Murph

:)
beta blockers are supposed to slightly drop your Blood pressure. I feel a bit better on them (I think!) and so do many others but the effect may be because of something different e.g. reducing heart rate or reducing the activity of beta-adrenergic antibodies.

Float

You may already know this but licorice root (with glycyrrhizin not deglycyrrhizinated). Causes high blood pressure by draining the body of potassium.

So supplementing with potassium should prevent high blood pressure.:)
Thanks @ljimbo423 no I had no idea! ! Will supplement thank you. I gave some potassium that I took to help arrhythmia (didn't work ) so will pull it out the cupboard. Thanks heaps ☺