• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study finds micronutrient deficiencies common at time of celiac disease diagnosis

rel8ted

Had vitamin d level of 9, with supplementation. Doctors were baffled. I insisted on being tested. They all said it was impossible bc I was overweight.

antares4141

Had vitamin d level of 9, with supplementation. Doctors were baffled. I insisted on being tested. They all said it was impossible bc I was overweight.
Generally speaking we get all we need from our diet. One exception would be if you have some type of absorption issue. I wish I would have been tested for deficiencies 10 years ago before I quit eating gluten. And then again maybe after I started focusing on eating a lot of vegetables. Which I think helped me not just control my weight but with my CFS symptoms and energy levels.

rel8ted

"Generally speaking" obviously does not apply when your gut is unable to do its job. I also had other deficiencies, and just kept being told to supplement. Just saying that if you have deficiencies and suspect Celiac, but your doc does not believe you, insist on being tested!

antares4141

"insist on being tested"

Indeed, that would be my recommendation before anyone quits gluten. Or suspects a deficiency. Otherwise at some point down the road you might not be able to know whether the intervention was helpful or not. I recently started eating gluten again with no seeming negative effects much to my surprise. Cause it seemed to eliminate a lot of my more troubling symptoms. Like stomach bloat, tachycardia, neuropathy in my arms, blisters on the insides of my lips. Extreme fatigue especially after eating. And a few others that are escaping me at the moment. Actually made a thread on the subject here:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/gluten-challenge.61747/

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Generally speaking we get all we need from our diet.
This was - and still is - my confidence as well. But I got the idea that the body can be compared to a motor. So it might be possible to become mistuned by some events, and to retune the mistuned things (some epigentics or whatever). And hopefully not to mistune other ones.
In my case I made the observation that vit B5, 7, 2, 1 are very good, but B6, 9 and perhaps 3 (don´t want to confirm it rn) very bad. Whereas the first group might be understandable to some degree (helping the TCA cycle), the second isn´t, as far as I have looked/grasped.

I recently started eating gluten again with no seeming negative effects much to my surprise.
Comparable thing here, with the combo vegetables and coffee though.