• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strong and quick reaction to Valtrex

Les

Hello Pine,
How are you doing now? Are you still taking Valtrex? Has it helped at all? Hope you are doing well.

I've been taking it for a month now, to treat EBV and HHV6. My reaction has been similar to yours - increased fatigue, increased resting heart rate (up to 95 bpm from 60), increased muscle fatigue, increased sensory overload and cognition problems. Went from sleeping my usual 12 hours out of 24 to sleeping 14-15 out of every 24, and still feel tired and 'out of it' when awake. Also had itchy red spots on my back, but they are clearing up now.

I am taking 1 gram 3x per day. Maybe I'll try cutting back and see if it helps. Would love to hear more about your experience! Thanks.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I also had a Herx-like reaction to antivirals, specifically Famvir, that lasted about 2-3 weeks.
And after that? No problems? I am starting Valtrex, getting very sleepy at only 375 mgs (I am to work up to 500 mg twice a day), and getting joint pain. The sleepiness lasts through right through to the next dose.
My reaction has been similar to yours - increased fatigue, increased resting heart rate (up to 95 bpm from 60), increased muscle fatigue, increased sensory overload and cognition problems. Went from sleeping my usual 12 hours out of 24 to sleeping 14-15 out of every 24, and still feel tired and 'out of it' when awake.
For me, no HR increase, but increased sleep.

Do others get over their Valtrex side-effects?

Sushi

Tella

Hi, I started with 500mg three times a day. I was expecting at least some side-effects but nothing really happens after 3 months of this dosage. I have positive all EBV titres (some high) and all symptoms of active EBV. I'm taking generic valaciclovir so I'm wondering if it has same potency.
Hey how r u now?

Vojta

Hey how r u now?
Hi, that valtrex treatment a long time ago didn't change my overall condition but after that IgM for EBV stayed negative, only high IgG again. I went downhill anyway because of antibiotics and exhaustion and went through Rituximab and other treatments later which improved some symptoms.

Tella

Hello Pine,
How are you doing now? Are you still taking Valtrex? Has it helped at all? Hope you are doing well.

I've been taking it for a month now, to treat EBV and HHV6. My reaction has been similar to yours - increased fatigue, increased resting heart rate (up to 95 bpm from 60), increased muscle fatigue, increased sensory overload and cognition problems. Went from sleeping my usual 12 hours out of 24 to sleeping 14-15 out of every 24, and still feel tired and 'out of it' when awake. Also had itchy red spots on my back, but they are clearing up now.

I am taking 1 gram 3x per day. Maybe I'll try cutting back and see if it helps. Would love to hear more about your experience! Thanks.
Hey how r u now?

Tella

Hi, that valtrex treatment a long time ago didn't change my overall condition but after that IgM for EBV stayed negative, only high IgG again. I went downhill anyway because of antibiotics and exhaustion and went through Rituximab and other treatments later which improved some symptoms.
How long were u on valtrex?