• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stress in the lower arms, what's that about?

Jody

Anybody know why one of the first places I feel symptoms stir is in my arms from elbow to wrists?

Whether anxiety, too much activity, worry or vertigo and other physical overdoing, that is where I get it. A feeling of agitation, don't know how to describe it, in my lower arms. When it's bad, it's physically painful and raw inside them. Sometimes it pulsates. Don't get it in my legs, or upper arms, just ... there.

Anybody?

MEKoan

Omg!

One of my most unpleasant symptoms has always been a strange aching in my forearms!!!

I remember trying to explain the nature of the sensation to my doc. in 1979 and it is still, for me, a cardinal symptom thirty years later.

It is the strangest feeling. I have variously described it as a hollow aching, feeling like I had acid in the veins in my arms, malaise of the forearm... I am struck by how dissimilar a sensation those descriptions would summon in a listening doctor but I simply cannot describe it.

I haven't connected it to any particular trigger and don't think it is stress induced but I can't be sure. I do know it has no correlation, whatsoever, to use or being on the computer or having carried something. It often part of the general malaise or of PEM.

Thank you Jody for mentioning this and please forgive me for the pleasure I took at not being alone with it! Could there be more of us, do you think? Must be! I'm such a freaking optimist - whenever something like this happens I think: this is the missing piece!

Anyway, me too.

With affliction,
Koan

Jody

Koan,

I share in that pleasure, knowing that you have problems with your arms as well. :D

I expect there are probably more of us, maybe lots of us.

I have no idea as to the cause of this stuff though. :rolleyes:

Tony

Still working on it all..
Yep, me too. It's a weird thing that comes and goes for no seeming reason.

For me it's like the wiring in the forearms is overloaded, the nerves are shot and it's an inner aching very different to muscle pain.
Maybe it's my whacko adrenalin etc but meditation calms it right down or gets rid of it entirely.

Jody

Tony,

Yeah, for me too it is sometimes like a barometer of how stressed I am in whatever form. When the stressor increases, I get more of these unpleasant sensations, when it diminishes so does the parasthesia in my arms.

So it's a mystery to all you guys too, eh? Too bad, I was hoping somebody might know something about this. But I -- like Koan -- am glad to know that I'm not the only one with this. :rolleyes:

Victoria

Me too, Jody,

In fact, right now (trying to fit 2 days work into one, which suggests stress doesn't it?).

Don't often have it in my elbow>>>>wrist (like today), it's usually the tendons on the backs of my hands. But that would be mainly Thur pm or Friday at work when I've been typing all week.

It's a funny co-incidence that I should drop into the forum for a quick peak today (because I'm really wilting at work this afternoon) & see that you're all writing about that particular pain). It' so rare for me to have that in the last year or two.

Mystery to me.

But then all the sleepless nights years ago when I had the elbow, knee, hip, feet etc pain for 4-5 hours was a mystery to me at that time. I was so frustrated, because I couldn't work out what was wrong with me back then.

Have any of you just eaten wheat prior to the pain starting?

I still think alot of my issues are wheat screwing up body - had a late lunch of dry biscuits, avocado & tomato a while ago. Didn't have time to eat properly.

V

Dan

Forearms

Forearm weakness is something I have a lot. Its frustrating because it's not the kind of weakness that necessarily palpable on a neurological exam. But it's there. It accompanies an increased overall weakness. I know this from having tried to lift weights while having this symptom. It's accompanied by a 'burning' ache. It becomes noticeable while hanging clothes, typing etc.

Martlet

Yep Jody. For me, it's similar to getting one of those "Chinese burns" we used to give each other as kids. It's a fairly good indicator of an imminent crash.