• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strangling sensation/ throat tightness

I’ve been having what feels like a strangling sensation for months, and it’s been getting way worse. The mechanism in my mouth to swallow feels off and there’s this weird pressure in my throat. It’s so bad sometimes I feel like there’s hardly enough room to swallow, but I can breathe okay.

Weird metallic bitter taste in my mouth, burning mouth syndrome, throat burning, build up of what feels like too much spit and phlegm or mucus. Uncomfortable if anything touches around my neck, makes sensation worse. I’m miserable and can’t figure it out. Any food or liquids even water make it worse. It also feels like tons of trapped air in my throat and I burp after still water which makes no sense.

I am seeing an ENT next week but was wondering if anyone has had something similar. I guess with how bad things felt I just thought it was something more serious.

Wolfcub

This is just off the top of my head, but could this be acid reflux? Or what's known as "silent reflux"? That can give those odd throat symptoms, swallowing difficulties etc.

I have been getting reflux the last month -and yes I often feel queer in the back of my throat, like I have something stuck in there or a nerve thing going on.

There are two sphincters in the esophagus: one -the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (by the stomach) and one just near the trachea. In my case I have felt both kind of playing up a bit (yuck)
I kept getting the feeling that any small things I swallowed were not going down properly and were kind of "lingering" down there (or coming up again??) Yet a proper full meal was heavy enough to go down (yes I know....peculiar!)

Bitters, diaphragmatic breathing, both have helped me. But best to get it all checked out.

Yes, I periodically experience those symptoms too: difficulty swallowing and a sensations of spasms in my throat/neck, and the sensations of trapped air bubbles. I do have issues with GERD/acid reflux, but sometimes it feels really neurological too . I also get frequent migraines and a lot of the nerves in my head and neck seem to be very reactive. At this point I think my symptoms are both gastrointestinal and neurological. It can be a very scary sensation when it becomes difficult to swallow.

Yes, I periodically experience those symptoms too: difficulty swallowing and a sensations of spasms in my throat/neck, and the sensations of trapped air bubbles. I do have issues with GERD/acid reflux, but sometimes it feels really neurological too . I also get frequent migraines and a lot of the nerves in my head and neck seem to be very reactive. At this point I think my symptoms are both gastrointestinal and neurological. It can be a very scary sensation when it becomes difficult to swallow.

It can and it is happening every day

Pyrrhus

From Columbia University Medical Center:
https://www.entcolumbia.org/health-library/neurologic-dysphagia

Columbia Medical Center said:
What is neurologic dysphagia?

Swallowing is complex process involving the coordinated interactions of a network of nerves and muscles, and a number of neurologic conditions can interfere with this process, causing disordered swallowing (dysphagia). The muscles of the mouth, back of throat (pharynx), and top end of the esophagus (upper esophageal sphincter) are directly connected to the brain through the cranial nerves, and can be weakened in people with neurologic disorders. When people have difficulty timing the movement of food and liquids from the mouth to the throat and esophagus when they start to swallow, they have a specific form of swallowing disorder called oropharyngeal dysphagia.

Pyrrhus

From the Wikipedia article on anaphylaxis:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis

Wikipedia said:
Symptoms typically include generalized hives, itchiness, flushing, or swelling(angioedema) of the afflicted tissues.[4] Those with angioedema may describe a burning sensation of the skin rather than itchiness.[12] Swelling of the tongue or throat occurs in up to about 20% of cases.[14] Other features may include a runny nose and swelling of the conjunctiva.[15] The skin may also be blue tinged because of lack of oxygen.[15]

Rufous McKinney

Same question, what gastro symptoms do you have?

Oh.....yeah I"m having some swallowing and throat issues intermittently

Angiodema- swelling of the tissues all around the mouth, palette, lips, pulp of the teeth, nasopharyngeal area, and throat- all a cycle of swelling messes. My lips can turn blue, look scalded and the tissue is actually partially- like its dying. Like I burned my mouth on hot coffee.

Also feels very neurological here.

I will abruptly breathe in saliva that I was supposedly swallowing. Or vice versa. Inhale the food bit.

Choke gag. I have to be rather careful but its not all the time.

Vitamins don't go down well.

Vinegar in my mouth is like torture.

EddieB

I get a lot of stomach cramps
Well, welcome to the party...

If you’d like to, take a look at some of my recents postings about IBS, sibo and gut bacteria. See if anything sounds familiar to your symptoms.

The theory I’m looking at, can dysbiosis/ gut bacterial overgrowth cause...
- a gas/ vapor type of reflux (silent reflux) that is causing throat swelling, laryngitis, mouth sores, etc?
- a spill over of toxic compounds ( lactic acid, LPS, organic acids, etc) that would cause that weak/ sick feeling?
- a variety of gut/ bowel issues, including gas, bloating, cramping, nausea, diarrhea/ constipation/ mixed?

Wayne

Several years ago I had some ongoing (of several years) swallowing problems all of a sudden become progressively worse over a several month period. I considered whether it could be the beginning stages of ALS, which was a sobering thought indeed. -- I was eventually able to trace it to a problem root-canaled tooth.

I had been considering whether to do something about the only root-canaled tooth in my mouth, and had been assured only 2-3 years earlier that it was in perfect shape (latest scanning technology), I wasn't necessarily convinced. When I developed an unusual blister on my lip right across from that tooth about 15 years ago, I decided to have it extracted.

The very next day I noticed my swallowing problems had literally vanished.

I’ve been having what feels like a strangling sensation for months, and it’s been getting way worse. The mechanism in my mouth to swallow feels off and there’s this weird pressure in my throat. It’s so bad sometimes I feel like there’s hardly enough room to swallow, but I can breathe okay.

Weird metallic bitter taste in my mouth, burning mouth syndrome, throat burning, build up of what feels like too much spit and phlegm or mucus. Uncomfortable if anything touches around my neck, makes sensation worse. I’m miserable and can’t figure it out. Any food or liquids even water make it worse. It also feels like tons of trapped air in my throat and I burp after still water which makes no sense.

I am seeing an ENT next week but was wondering if anyone has had something similar. I guess with how bad things felt I just thought it was something more serious.

I began treatment in Nov 2020 with several meds. Treatment continues still but less meds. Maybe a couple months in up to last week, I had been experiencing what feels like spasm or a tightening, strangling feeling in my neck. For months I've been saying "my neck", its in my neck? What it is, I have no freaking idea. I didn't experience this until I began these meds. Unbelievable.

Have you any answers from your ENT appt? I will inquire next month if not sooner with my doctor and post if any answers are given. God Speed My Friend.

Have you any answers from your ENT appt? I will inquire next month if not sooner with my doctor and post if any answers are given. God Speed My Friend.
The feeling has subsided, I'm wondering what was happening with the medications? What's the trigger? So scary and frustrating. It's not acid reflux, that I do know.