• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strange taste in mouth, nausea, bloating

Hopeful1976

Hi. Can anyone help? Since having m.e I get this odd sour feeling down the sides of my tongue, coupled with nausea and a sick feeling through my gullet. I also get an increase in all other symptoms. I always thought this was candida but I'm now not so sure. It can go in a second, I some relief after eating (it comes back after a few hours). I eat no gluten, sugar or dairy except cheese. Can anyone help? I feel like my stomach is rotting :(

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
@Vicki Cole

I had the same symptoms when I became badly constipated.

From what I understand, after we start getting backed up our intestines stop moving the food (gastroparesis), and the food has a tendency to ferment or rot in our gut.

Not necessarily saying this is what's happening to you, but that was my personal experience.

Due to my poor physical conditioning, it took some time, several weeks actually, to get everything back where it needed to be.

There are other medical conditions (some serious) that can cause these symptoms as well, mostly related to food getting stuck, not being able to work its way through the intestinal tract. But from what I understand, constipation is the most common cause.

I'm not saying candida isn't to blame, but that's just my personal experience.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Hope you feel better soon!

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Howard

I had the same symptoms when I became badly constipated.

@Vicki Cole @Howard

Constipation was one of my bad symptoms/effects of all this. Not sure if you're going thru that peculiar slowing of the entire digestive tract, but what worked for me in terms of getting things whacked into shape was bulk Magnesium Oxide. I chose mag oxide because only 4% of it is absorbed as magnesium, and at the doses I already take magnesium glycinate for severe anxiety, I didn't want to add anymore mag than absolutely necessary. And I chose bulk because at the levels needed for constipation, it was the easiest way to control the dose levels. And unlike other options, it doesn't screw up your friendly gastro bacteria or interfere with the absorption of other nutrients/supplements, and seems to contribute to alkalizing your system slightly.

I get the bulk mag oxide from Bulk Supplements, which has an excellent label on the front that defines the amount of magnesium in everything from 1/8th of a tspn to 1 full tspn, so dose control is easy with a good set of measuring spoons.

I still take 816 mgs of mag oxide (for me, more produces the runs, but I've heard of people who have to take as much as 2 tspns to get relief ... everyone's different), which I whisk into 6 oz's of warm water with about 2-3 dps of stevia for flavor and chug down, like a good little soldier. It isn't disgusting or terrible, but it's not something you drink because you, like, crave it :meh:

Hope this helps, Vicki. Feel better :thumbsup: !!!

YippeeKi YOW !!

@IThinkImTurningJapanese

Doesn't that just frost my pumpkins. On my message to you, they converted the title of the smiley to the actual smiley, buggery little cyber-creeps :cautious:.

For a better illustration, see my post to Vicki Cole, just above my first one to you.

I tried the smileys several times before giving up in that post and applying to you for input. I swear. Honest !!!

YippeeKi YOW !!

I suggest Magnesium Glycinate

@Vicki Cole, @Gondwanaland

In my experience, Mag Glycinate won't work. I take anywhere from 600 to 1000 mgs of mag glycinate in tablet form every day for anxiety, heart palpitations and tight, fluttery chest. It works extremely well for that, and because it's bound to an amino acid (glycine), it doesn't have the side-effects that high magnesium doses usually produce, i.e. diarrhea.

Mag Oxide works because it moves thru the system rapidly, and does pull liquids into the intestines, thereby moving things along nicely. And, as stated in my OP, it doesn't mess up your biome or interfere with the absorption of other nutrients and supplements, and is only 4% bioavailable, so it's not the best choice for supporting daily magnesium needs

For the same reason that it works on constipation, it also doesn't contribute much to your daily magnesium needs, due to it's low amount of absorbable magnesium. Glycinate is highly bio-available, about 14-20%, and is an excellent source for dietary magnesium, but does nothing for constipation, at least in my experience.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Mg GLY for strange taste in mouth
For constipation I suggest Taurine

@Vicki Cole, @Gondawanaland
I’ve never heard of taurine for constipation, unless you’re referring to magnesium taurate, i.e. magnesium bound to the amino acid taurine. Expensive, and not as effective as mag oxide. Believe me, I’ve tried almost all of them.

It’s also possible, because taurine is a sulphate, that taking taurine on its own could cause additional problems if the friendly gut biome is weak or weakened, as bile acids will be excessively sulfated and won’t induce water secretion, causing more constipation.

Would definitely be interested if you have any citations for taurine for constipation, am always up for learning something new!!!

As far as the strange taste in the mouth thingy, mg oxide, thru its mild alkalizing action, would take care of that, as well. At least, it’s worked that way for me.

YippeeKi YOW !!

n=1 (be sure to ingest some foods high in Molybdenum)

For those who tolerate it yes

@Gondwanaland

Don't quite know what "n=1" means.

Mg oxide is the most tolerable form of non-glycinated magnesium. You may be thinking of magnesium citrate, which, for a lot of people, is brutal if taken in even moderate amounts, which might or might not be enough to ease constipation.

YippeeKi YOW !!

It is frequently used as a synonim of self experimentation.

@Gondwanaland

Yes, but is n=1 in reference to my request for any citation for the use of taurine for constipation? I was asking in good faith, because in all my research (and I'm tireless in that pursuit), I'd never bumped into a reference to taurine in relation to constipation, but am always eager to learn.

If it refers to my use of mg oxide for constipation and my recommendation of it for what may be ailing @Vicki Cole, I'm hardly the only person whose had successful results with mg oxide for constipation. There are entire product lines built on that concept, and endless references to it on Google, as well as equally endless endorsements of it from Amazon and other product reviews to medical health guru's.

Not that any of those are the end-all, but I'm basing my input on my personal experience with mg oxide, which I carefully researched before I tried it, and which I wouldn't recommend to anyone without both of the foregoing. I'm fairly open to self-experimentation, but wouldn't base a rec to someone else on that without noting that my input is based solely on my own experience, as per the full quote from my post, part of which was left out in your response

YippeeKi YOW !! said:
As far as the strange taste in the mouth thingy, mg oxide, thru its mild alkalizing action, would take care of that, as well.

"As far as the strange taste in the mouth thingy, mg oxide, thru its mild alkalizing action, would take care of that, as well. At least, it’s worked that way for me."

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

is n=1 in reference to my request for any citation for the use of taurine for constipation?
I am sorry but it reflects conclusions from self experimentation. I never looked for studies about it.

However, I found it is pretty logical that Taurine would help with constipation since it increases the bile salts pool as well as Glycine (via conjugation). Just basic metabolism. Under this light, MgGLY is also a good candidate to help with constipation if the cause is poor bile conjugation. My husband gets diarrhea from MgGLY.

So, bad taste in mouth can be from poor liver phase II reactions.
my use of mg oxide for constipation and my recommendation of it for what may be ailing @Vicki Cole, I'm hardly the only person whose had successful results with mg oxide for constipation.
A couple of years back I used MgO for a couple of months with good results in general except it didn't help with constipation. Nowadays I can't tolerate it anymore because it gives me canker sores. Additionally it causes candida flares in some people.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I am sorry but it reflects conclusions from self experimentation. I never looked for studies about it.

However, I found it is pretty logical that Taurine would help with constipation since it increases the bile salts pool as well as Glycine (via conjugation). Just basic metabolism. Under this light, MgGLY is also a good candidate to help with constipation if the cause is poor bile conjugation. My husband gets diarrhea from MgGLY.

So, bad taste in mouth can be from poor liver phase II reactions.

A couple of years back I used MgO for a couple of months with good results in general except it didn't help with constipation. Nowadays I can't tolerate it anymore because it gives me canker sores. Additionally it causes candida flares in some people.

@Gondwanaland

Hi G ….. About an hour ago, I wrote you the message below. I had to do it in a word doc, because along with all the other fun that yesterday and the first part of today have provided, I’ve been having computer problems and had to close my browser shortly after I’d opened it, and shortly after that, Word as well. And now, I opened 'edit' to correct a couple of tyos, and it's refusing to repost ..... damn.

So this is getting to you a day late and a dollar short, and I realize that it’s redundant now, what with your post, but thought I’d post it anyway. It may help someone, you never know.

Re taurine and bile salts, it was my understanding from a long-forgotten source (practically everything is now long or short forgotten on my bad days) that sulfur-based taurine would subject bile acids to excessive sulfuration, which would negate it’s value as a viable anti-constipation vehicle, at least in the presence of a weak or nonexistent gut biome.

Anyway, here’s the previous, un-posted post, and thank you for the clarification and the input :thumbsup:.

Aha! I’ve had some rest and my brain is working a little better :bulb:. Are you saying that you use taurine because you can’t tolerate mg?

At least, on second reading, I think that’s what you’re saying. Not sure :confused:.

Yes? No? Getting close? Still completely off-track?

If that is the case, how much taurine do you use per dose? How much molybdenum? What does the molybdenum offset or support? I’m asking about this in particular because I’m sulfur intolerant right now (sudden onset, hoping it will eventually reverse) and I’m hoping that the molybdenum may offset the sulfuric nature of the taurine, which I’d love to be able to take for other issues. Can I substitute liquid molybdenum drops? About how many mcg’s of molybdenum per 500 mgs of taurine? How long between taking the taurine and molybdenum dose does your colon wake up and kick in?

Have I worn you out yet? Apologies if yes :oops:.

This info could definitely help someone who, like you, doesn’t tolerate mg well in any form, and is suffering from constipation, a not unusual accompaniment to ME/CFS, so thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Gondwanaland

sulfur-based taurine would subject bile acids to excessive sulfuration,
Keep in mind that bile acids are conjugated by Taurine and Glycine
Are you saying that you use taurine because you can’t tolerate mg?
Currently I tolerate Mg Aspartate. Since it doesn't help with constipation, I use Taurine for that. Taurine also improves fat digestion.
The only form of Mg that helps me with constipation is Mg Citrate, but it causes tinnitus + brain fog (if I recall correctly, citrate inhibits Tyrosinase), so I avoid it.
how much taurine do you use per dose?
Something between 150 - 300 mg. 1 can of energetic drink contains 1,000 mg.
How much molybdenum? What does the molybdenum offset or support?
I only tolerate Moly from food. It is co-factor to 4 enzymes : sulfite oxidase, xanthine oxidase, aldehyde oxidase, and mitochondrial amidoxime reducing component. Moly lowers copper.
How long between taking the taurine and molybdenum dose does your colon wake up and kick in?
For me it takes between 12- 24h.
Have I worn you out yet? Apologies if yes
No worries

YippeeKi YOW !!

Keep in mind that bile acids are conjugated by Taurine and Glycine

Currently I tolerate Mg Aspartate. Since it doesn't help with constipation, I use Taurine for that. Taurine also improves fat digestion.
The only form of Mg that helps me with constipation is Mg Citrate, but it causes tinnitus + brain fog (if I recall correctly, citrate inhibits Tyrosinase), so I avoid it.

Something between 150 - 300 mg. 1 can of energetic drink contains 1,000 mg.

I only tolerate Moly from food. It is co-factor to 4 enzymes : sulfite oxidase, xanthine oxidase, aldehyde oxidase, and mitochondrial amidoxime reducing component. Moly lowers copper.

For me it takes between 12- 24h.

No worries

@Gondwanaland

Hi G …. Thank you, both from me and the many unknowns who will benefit from your concise, well-considered post in the future. Much appreciated :).

I’m guessing, from your short, to-the-point responses and depth of knowledge, that you’ve a connection to, or deep background in, one or more of the sciences, yes? Thank you for sharing those gifts :thumbsup:.

Apologies for delayed response, was really out of it yesterday o_O :ill:.