• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

still looking for answers on PEM

wabi-sabi

I overdid yesterday so I'm crashed today and feeling sorry for myself. A question occurred to me on managing PEM and crashes that I 'd like to here people's opinion on.

Here's the thing. When I crash from physical exertion the symptoms don't set in for a few hours later and the worst usually doesn't come until the next day, in terms of cognitive problems. The day of, I often still feel (if not OK) at my baseline. So on the days when i know I have already done enough to crash myself, should I do just a bit more, knowing I'm going to be miserable the next few days anyway or should I try to do as little as possible once I know I have gone overbudget to try to minimize the oncoming train wreck?

How do you handle this?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
The day of, I often still feel (if not OK) at my baseline. So on the days when i know I have already done enough to crash myself, should I do just a bit more, knowing I'm going to be miserable the next few days anyway

It's so tempting isn't it?

I did a lot yesterday and really, really wanted to do more today after all I was "on a roll" as they say.

I've gotten to the point that my body just won't budge on this though. I folded a few wash clothes today but that was it.

Everything else that I normally would manage to get done in a day won't be done today, I'm afraid.

So I guess I'm not sure the trade off was worth it.

I don't know if I'll ever be wise enough to learn because I keep doing the same thing again and again, but here goes with the advice anyway, "Slow and steady wins the race."