• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Steroid Nasal Sprays

TheMoonIsBlue

Does anyone know if the small amount of steroids in the prescription steroid nasal sprays would have any real negative effect on us with M.E./CFS? I used Nasonex, and Nasacort AQ for years but haven't for about 3. I was using NasalCrom Spray which is OTC now and I think somehow related to Singular chemically but it seems to be making me have to urinate more.

My sinuses are Ok during the day but always swell at night, whichever side I am laying on gets clogged and I have to roll over then the other side gets clogged. I've tried allergy pills, antioxidants, cleaning my sinuses 10x a day.....this has been going on for ten years.

Anyone tried FLONASE?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi MoonIsBlue,

I have to take steroid nasal sprays. They say that not much is systemically absorbed. I do take generic Flonase and it helps a lot.

Sushi

Lotus97

I was taking Flonase and it did help my nasal congestion, but I recently read that corticosteroids (aka steroids) such as Flonase could reactivate viruses/viral coinfections which is a concern for me since I have Lyme disease.
http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/ly...ch/324686-viruses-and-lyme-diseasebig-problem

When I've tried to go off Flonase it seems to cause shortness of breath and rebound nasal congestion. Even if you don't have Lyme or viruses, there is this precaution I found:

http://www.drugs.com/pro/flonase.html

When used at higher than recommended doses or in rare individuals at recommended doses, systemic corticosteroid effects such as hypercorticism and adrenal suppression may appear. If such changes occur, the dosage of Flonase Nasal Spray should be discontinued slowly consistent with accepted procedures for discontinuing oral corticosteroid therapy.
In clinical studies with fluticasone propionate administered intranasally, the development of localized infections of the nose and pharynx with Candida albicans has occurred only rarely. When such an infection develops, it may require treatment with appropriate local therapy and discontinuation of treatment with Flonase Nasal Spray. Patients using Flonase Nasal Spray over several months or longer should be examined periodically for evidence of Candida infection or other signs of adverse effects on the nasal mucosa.
Intranasal corticosteroids should be used with caution, if at all, in patients with active or quiescent tuberculous infections of the respiratory tract; untreated local or systemic fungal or bacterial infections; systemic viral or parasitic infections; or ocular herpes simplex.
Because of the inhibitory effect of corticosteroids on wound healing, patients who have experienced recent nasal septal ulcers, nasal surgery, or nasal trauma should not use a nasal corticosteroid until healing has occurred.

Nasonex helps with my allergies and it doesn't cause side effects. I took about 1/4 to 1/2 of what normal people take. I had generic Flonase once, which I couldn't stand because of the scent. It probably had chemicals I was allergic to.

Nielk

I too am on constant generic Flonase spray. As soon as I go off for a few days, my sinuses start acting up. i too hope that this long term use has no negative effect.

K2 for Hope

ALways Hoping
I was using generic Flonase for a clogged eustachian tube and allergies. It seemed to help. Thanks for posting this as I was a bit concerned about using it, but I didn't seem to have any side effects.

I was also put on an oral steroid "methylprednisolone tablets (4 mg dose pak) which caused immediate pneumonia (within 48 hrs). I finished the dose pak, but then had to be on Levaquin for the pneumonia.