• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Spouses, children & XMRV: "Not a strong association..."

JillBohr

I just stumbled across this, not sure if it's been posted yet (?), but near the end of the video Dr. Daniel Peterson says that "in general there has not been a strong association" in patients w/XMRV & the percentage of children and spouses. (paraphrasing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B5kghQL3x0

I just watched the video, near the very end, Dr. Peterson said there is not a strong association between a CFS patients and their family members having CFS. My speculation is that the family members may have XMRV but may have different health problems (prostate cancer, autism, etc.).

dannybex

I just watched the video, near the very end, Dr. Peterson said there is not a strong association between a CFS patients and their family members having CFS. My speculation is that the family members may have XMRV but may have different health problems (prostate cancer, autism, etc.).

Good point. I just posted it because there has been a lot of worry and concern about mother to child (or spouse) transmission of ME/CFS.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Do we know how many women with active CFS have gone through pregnancy and had a fully healthy kid? I'd be very interested if anyone can find any statistics... though I suspect there may be none.

I often see comments like this - kind of implied comments on statistics, but I can never find any actual statistics, either on diseased spouses or offspring. Which makes my BS-radar start buzzing....