• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sore tailbone anyone?

i-lava-u

Does anyone else experience a very sore tailbone when sitting? Do you have any tips or suggestions on how to help alleviate the pain?

akrasia

Does anyone else experience a very sore tailbone when sitting? Do you have any tips or suggestions on how to help alleviate the pain?

Everlasting Comfort 100% Pure Memory Foam Luxury Seat Cushion, Orthopedic Design To Relieve..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EBDV9BU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are several versions of this on amazon. I’m using a different brand but they are all alike.

Take care of the pain you are feeling because pain itself is enormously draining for us.

Also, very gentle stretching of your lumbar spine, accompanied by applications of heat and cold might be helpful.

Another thing you can try is Penetrex, also available on Amazon.

i-lava-u

Thank you for your suggestions @akrasia . They are very much appreciated!

I had never heard of Penetrex before, I will check it out.

I think the seat cushion is a good idea as any type of sitting is very painful and getting worse. I did not injure myself, but I believe it is a result/consequence of long-term bed rest

I have used heat, I can't tolerate the cold though.

Are there specific stretches you would recommend? (ones I can do from my bed while laying down?)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I also have this and my physical therapist identified the problem— something like the tailbone being tipped in the wrong direction. She suggested putting something underneath in the correct position when I am lying down but I think you would need a physical therapist to show you how to do this — if that is even part of your problem!

i-lava-u

@BadBadBear I had never heard of this before. I googled it, and I don't think that's the culprit causing pain as there is no redness, bump or pus...unless this can also happen on the inside of the body?!

I have not been to the doctor yet for my tailbone. I keep hoping the pain will go away, but it just keeps getting worse. It's only when I am sitting

I am thinking that maybe the muscles/tendons that are connected to the bone are weakened due to prolonged bed rest and that could be what is causing the pain when I sit...as in, the muscles/tendons are not able to hold the bone in place where it should be as a result of being weakened from disuse and the bone is at a weird angle now when I sit??

It is very painful

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thx for your reply @Sushi , did the physical therapist suggest what could cause it to tip in the wrong direction?
I have EDS so it could have been a passing breeze in my case, :rolleyes: but she did mention postural/positional causes. There is no doubt a YouTube on how to place a support cushion that might help realign it!

i-lava-u

thx @Sushi
I have EDS type III, but I don't think it is related to the tailbone pain necessarily as mine is not as severe as it sounds like yours is....but, I did not take the EDS into consideration before. Maybe this could make me more vulnerable to getting and/or recovering from this issue? I'm glad you mentioned it as I did not even think about that.

Thx for the YouTube suggestion as well on how to place the support cushion...did not think of that either! ;)

BadBadBear

@BadBadBear I had never heard of this before. I googled it, and I don't think that's the culprit causing pain as there is no redness, bump or pus...unless this can also happen on the inside of the body?!

It is very painful

When I had this, it didn't become visible until the infection was very bad. The doctor first said I must have gotten drunk and fallen down and didn't remember it (this was his most educated guess, since he would not believe I didn't drink!).

I went back three days later when it was excruciating, and then a cyst had formed and had to be drained (which was no damn fun at all, and everyone in the universe saw my butt). :D

If it progresses, please get it checked! It can cause sepsis if the cyst goes inward.

Tailbone pain is not normal.

AngelM

I experienced tail bone pain as well and even visited the ER. I was in that much pain. A gastrenterologist treated me as if I were crazy, and told me there were no nerves in the tail bone. I have since found that is untrue. In my case of severe tail bone pain, I did my own research and determined that the pain on my tailbone was caused by inflammation of my lower colon—pressing on the bone—a result of IBS. That same swelling showed up on a colonoscopy but was dismissed by the gastro doc.

i-lava-u

@AngelM that sounds very painful! I'm glad you were able to figure out what was causing your tailbone pain. What helped you relieve the pain? Thanks :)

akrasia

Thank you for your suggestions @akrasia . They are very much appreciated!
Are there specific stretches you would recommend? (ones I can do from my bed while laying down?)

An effective basic stretch is done lying down on your back, alternately pulling a bent leg towards the stomach with your hands pressing your knee, optimally performed on the floor on a rug or mat, but if your bed is firm enough it will probably be all right.

Starsister

I know this is an old post but I just saw it. Just thought I'd mention I too have awful pain at the tailbone...although these days the pain spreads out. But even in my 20s....a long time ago, my chiropractor told me and showed me on X-ray, mine is actually pointed forward as if I'd had a fall on my tailbone and it bent it forward. I do vaguely recall when young jumping off something and landing on my tail. The dr told me at the time that there is an adjustment they can do that can move it out if it is the problem..but I never had the nerve to try it as it required them inserting their finger up there...yikes! And no other dr since has suggested any solution. I have every kind of pillow imaginable.

The gel foam one is comfy in my car when driving but too hard elsewhere, I have a soft square one that fit a square cloth bag perfectly, so I never go to an event without that cushion. Even then, I am in great pain at times trying to sit in an audience. I often take up two chairs at church so I can sit sideways or sprawl...since it is one place I don't mind looking a bit strange. Those stadium pillows are SO hard and no help. I've also been using lidocaine spray from Walmart that helps but it has an odor if out in public. biofreeze which is more normal smell if going out in public, and the smell goes away in on,y 10 minutes anyway. Also ice when home. Hope you have found solutions already though. I feel your pain! :ill:

Seven7

Seven
OMG! I think we go through cFs stages. I had this, and everytime I have spine anesthesia gets agreveted. I am famous in the family, I go for nose surgery and come out complaining of tail bone pain! Happened on my breast and other surgeries/ spinal tap.

Is better now. Because of my POTs I used to cross legs a lot.I avoid it now and the pain is better.