• Phoenix Rising needs funds to operate: please consider donating to support PR

Solve M.E. webinar 27th Aug. with Dr Komaroff: Will COVID-19 lead to ME/CFS in some people?

Countrygirl

Solve M.E. webinar: Will COVID-19 lead to ME/CFS in some people?, Thursday, August 27th, 10:00am PT / 1:00pm ET / 6:00pm UK / 7:00pm EU

Dr. Anthony L. Komaroff will be leading a discussion on what is known to date about the connection between COVID-19 and ME/CFS, questions we should be asking, and the research efforts that are forming in response to this unique opportunity to understand post-viral illness.

Sign on here,if you are interested:

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8645135981709622286
  1. Thu, Aug 27, 2020 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM BST

People with myalgic encephalomyelitis (also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or ME/CFS) commonly report that an infection preceded their chronic illness. A number of viruses have been implicated as triggers of ME/CFS, including previous coronavirus strains (e.g. the 2003 SARS coronavirus outbreak). Now, as the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) sweeps the world, experts predict that a significant number of people will develop post-viral problems that could be lifelong. There are already reports that COVID-19 "long-haulers" still have lingering symptoms, even more than 90 days post-infection. Join Dr. Anthony L. Komaroff for a discussion of what we know so far about the connection between COVID-19 and ME/CFS, questions we should be asking, and the research efforts that are forming in response to this unique opportunity to understand post-viral illness. Ahead of the webinar, be sure to check out Dr. Komaroff's blog post on the Center for Solutions for ME/CFS website: Will There Be a Post-COVID-19 Form of ME/CFS? at https://cfsformecfs.org/2020/05/12/will-there-be-a-post-covid-19-form-of-me-cfs/

ljimbo423

Thanks @Countrygirl - this will be interesting to follow.

The quote below is from the link you posted- "Will There Be a Post-COVID-19 Form of ME/CFS"?

Coxiella burnetti is Q fever-

In this study, 253 individuals who developed an infection with either Epstein-Barr virus (a DNA virus), Coxiella burnetti (intracellular bacterium), or Ross River virus (an RNA virus) were followed for the next year. The study found that ME/CFS developed in 11% of the people.

The strongest predictor of a “post-infective fatigue syndrome” was the severity of the initial illness, as judged both by symptoms and by laboratory test abnormalities.

In other words, objective and measurable biological abnormalities predicted who would develop ME/CFS. In contrast, people with a past history of psychiatric illness were not more likely to develop ME/CFS.
This is very clear evidence that ME/CFS has a PHYSICAL cause.