• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Smoked Salt and GI distress

A few days ago I decided to try Cherrywood smoked salt to sprinkle on food and all was fine, but on Day 3 I'm having bad stomach aches. I tried black salt a few weeks ago and had the same reaction. I suffer from GI issues, but it hasn't been this bad in a while. I also also avoid high FODMAP. Does anyone have an idea to why i'm reacting badly to smoked salt?

Diwi9

Administrator
You could have a smoke allergy/sensitivity or natural smoke flavoring allergy/sensitivity. I can handle limited amounts of smoked foods, but anything with natural smoke flavor causes nausea and worse. Are you on a mast cell protocol?

You could have a smoke allergy/sensitivity or natural smoke flavoring allergy/sensitivity. I can handle limited amounts of smoked foods, but anything with natural smoke flavor causes nausea and worse. Are you on a mast cell protocol?
Thanks for responding. Right now I combine the AIP/Low FODMAP and low histamine diet. This combo seems to work the best for me. I realized that I had too much histamine be cause I would get headaches and rashes from things like tuna, canned food and kombucha.

I'm one of these. Any smoked meat, even uncured, makes me sooooo ill and very quickly. We also had a bottle of liquid smoke a long time ago (not sure why now) but even opening the bottle would set me off.

Good to know. I've practically done with reintroducing foods and figuring out which ones work for me and which ones don't. I didn't even know about smoked salt until recently. I thought if I could actually use this, it would be a game changer in making meals more interesting, but I guess not.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I thought if I could actually use this, it would be a game changer in making meals more interesting, but I guess not.

I hear ya. I've eliminated whole food groups to the point that it becomes really hard to make food interesting anymore.

I told my sister, "You know ME/CFS has to be real when people have to give up pizza and cat-lovers (or dog-lovers) give up having pets because there is no energy to take care of them."
(I had cats all my life except one month in 1988 and again for the last 4 years as my disease worsens. :(
Oops...sorry for the topic digression.)