• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SMCI Monthly Update Thread - June 2018

Emily Taylor

Hello from the Solve ME/CFS Initiative. We want to share our latest news and research with you, but we also want to respect your space and not spam the forums. In order to do that, we are starting a monthly thread where will we add all of the latest news from SMCI. Throughout the month we plan to use this thread to post our latest news and research.

**My apologies we missed updates for May while I was traveling in Washington DC.**

Emily Taylor

Preliminary Results from Ramsay 2016 Projects - Teams 2 & 4

In 2016, Solve ME/CFS Initiative launched the first cycle of the Ramsay Award Program. The Ramsay Awards are foundational to SMCI’s commitment to explore worthy research avenues. This program aims to move the field forward by funding innovative research across many disciplines, bring new researchers in the myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) field, and provide seed dollars so that researchers can go on to obtain funds for larger studies in their areas of expertise.

We are pleased to announce the first group of research teams funded by the Ramsay Awards are beginning to report results. In this edition, we feature results from two Ramsay 2016 Teams. We look forward to providing a full report out following the publication of the study outcomes. READ MORE

Emily Taylor

SMCI Ramsay Awards 2017: Meet Research Team 5
The Ramsay Award program is a foundation of the Solve ME/CFS Initiative’s (SMCI) commitment to explore all worthy research avenues. This program aims to move the field forward by funding innovative research across many disciplines, bring new researchers in the the myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) field, and provide seed dollars so that researchers can go on to obtain funds for larger studies in their areas of expertise. In 2017, we chose five scientifically diverse teams to fund. We are proud to introduce you to our 2017 Ramsay Research Team 5. READ MORE

ljimbo423

The Ramsay Program is competitive, meaning we had more applications for funding than we were able to fulfill, and so a rigorous, peer-review process was used to select the most meritorious applications.

We will update our community on these projects as they kick off in January 2018. Importantly, these studies will advance the knowledge for diagnosis and characterization of ME/CFS in at least five key areas where we still have considerable knowledge gaps:

1. Biomarkers for initiation (infection) and metabolic derangement in ME/CFS (Team 1, Sweden)
  2. Epigenetic regulation in specific immune cell types (Team 2, USA and Spain)
  3. Intestinal virome alterations and abnormalities in ME/CFS (Team 3, United Kingdom)
  4. Immunometabolism of T cells and monocytes in ME/CFS (Team 4, Germany)
  5. Antibody reactivities against autoantigens & the microbiome in ME/CFS (Team 5, Israel)
LINK

Five more research teams working on the gut, metabolism and the immune system!!:thumbsup::)

Jim

ljimbo423

Research Team 5-

Eran Segal, PhD, is a computational biologist specializing in the role of the human microbiome in health and disease. He focuses on the development of personalized medicine approaches that combine human genetics, the microbiome, and nutrition.

Dr. Segal summarizes his work in a fascinating TEDx talk
here.
Dr. Segal is lead investigator of a Ramsay 2017 project exploring the gut microbiota-immune system interaction in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). His research group is using a multidisciplinary approach that combines both experimental and computation-based methods.

You can read more about the study, titled “Deciphering antibody reactivities against autoantigens & the microbiome in ME/CFS”, in an interview with Dr. Segal and Thomas Vogl, a postgraduate student in his group, below.

You can read the Research Team 5 study abstract here.
LINK

Jim

Emily Taylor

Reminder: ME/CFS Research webinar Thursday, June 28
The Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI) is pleased to announce the return of our popular webinar series for 2018 with “Crossroad of the immune response and the microbiome: Impact on ME/CFS” p
resented by Derya Unutmaz, MD, Professor and Principal Investigator at The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine.

This webinar will take place on Thursday June 28th at 10am PST / 1pm EDT

Register at: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8156426135278094337

Emily Taylor

In Case you Missed it: Full Discovery Forum Presentation from Dr. Rick Williams is now available

View the full presentation from Discovery Forum 2017 with Dr. Rick Williams, Principal Investigator for Medical & Public Health Research at RTI International prepared with his colleague Dr. Becky McNeil, Research Statistician, also of RTI International.

RTI is the lead organization for the Data Management Coordination Center (DMCC) for the new NIH-funded Collaborative Research Centers. Dr. Rick Williams will play a leading role in bringing together the work at Columbia University, Cornell University and Jackson Labs over the next five years.

Emily Taylor

Reminder: ME/CFS Research webinar Thursday, June 28
The Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI) is pleased to announce the return of our popular webinar series for 2018 with “Crossroad of the immune response and the microbiome: Impact on ME/CFS” p
resented by Derya Unutmaz, MD, Professor and Principal Investigator at The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine.

This webinar will take place on Thursday June 28th at 10am PST / 1pm EDT

Register at: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8156426135278094337

WEBINAR RESCHEDULED!
New date is Thursday July 19, 10am PST / 1pm EST

Emily Taylor

In Case You Missed It: First-Ever ME/CFS Collaborative Conference Held in Canada
carol_montreal.jpg

Carol Head, CEO and President of Solve ME/CFS Initiative, provides remarks alongside other advocates during a panel discussion on how to move forward with an international ME/CFS research agenda.

The
First Canadian Collaborative Team Conference for ME/CFS Research was held in Montreal, Quebec from May 3 – May 5 at a facility affiliated with the Université de Montréal, Canada .The conference brought together an international cadre of physicians, clinicians, researchers, individuals with ME/CFS, and other healthcare professionals to discuss progress in ME/CFS research. Presentations ranged from methods to properly diagnose patients and strategies to improve clinical care to research at the molecular level. READ MORE

https://solvecfs.org/first-ever-me-cfs-collaborative-conference-held-in-canada/