• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Slow COMT, Excess dopamine, Anxiety, nervous tics?

xebex

I think i have slow COMT, here's my results on genetic genie
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 3.59.21 PM.png

I have looked into the slowCOMT supplements on seeking health

https://www.seekinghealth.com/collections/dirty-genes-comt-slow-support

but i haven't bought any from there due to not dealing well with magnesium glycinate and being in canada - border issues and such.

i have tried several of the other supplements from other sources though, and ultimately find magnesium malate helps with restless legs, taurine and theanine help with anxiety, NAC has been quite helpful for brain fog and my spine pain and did give me a small improvement in my ME function. I am just about to try SAMe and the step after that will be to try DIM + I3C, Calcium-D-Glucarate and Liver Nutrients (though i have already tried milk thistle and ALA and got nothing but as i said NAC was helpful, i wonder if i took all these together it might be a better effect). Ultimately though, none of the supplements i've tried so far have made much of an impact in my functional level, its more about managing some of the symptoms.

the only thing that has given me any improvement (only temporary whilst i take it) worth talking about is ritalin but i have to pulse it 2 days on 1 day off otherwise it starts causing the issues i'm trying to fix - i wonder if it's cos my dopamine gets too high - i am not sure that the improvement with ritalin is linked with my COMT gene, i think it's more to do with having lax bloodvessels, and the ritalin helps constrict them, but maybe COMT influences that, i don't know.

judyinthesky

Hi! I have done some COMT testing and awaiting results. I have high dopamine in serum (about 10 times over the reference range), but normal (medium) dopamine in 24 hour urine. Not sure whether this helps, but thought I would leave it here.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
the only thing that has given me any improvement (only temporary whilst i take it) worth talking about is ritalin but i have to pulse it 2 days on 1 day off otherwise it starts causing the issues

Do you get headaches from it?

About half of my COMT genes are heterozygous (coded yellow)(hope that's the right term) on my MTHFR support report.

I have high dopamine in serum (about 10 times over the reference range), but normal (medium) dopamine in 24 hour urine. Not sure whether this helps, but thought I would leave it here.

I wonder if serum dopamine is high because something prevents the brain from using it.

This website says: Both Adderall and Ritalin are central nervous system (CNS) stimulants. They work by increasing the availability of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine in your CNS connections.

When I take things to raise my dopamine levels the ME feels better but I end up with migraine and tension headaches around my eyes for days afterward along with twitching underneath one of them depending on what I've taken to raise the dopamine.

Some researchers have said we can also have a high level of choline in our brains and I wonder the same thing about that. Is something in our genes making it harder to properly process the neurotransmitters, etc. so we end up with excess.

Edit: Sorry if my post seems a bit disjointed. I'm having a hard time organizing the different thoughts right now.

ChookityPop

I
the only thing that has given me any improvement (only temporary whilst i take it) worth talking about is ritalin but i have to pulse it 2 days on 1 day off otherwise it starts causing the issues i'm trying to fix - i wonder if it's cos my dopamine gets too high - i am not sure that the improvement with ritalin is linked with my COMT gene, i think it's more to do with having lax bloodvessels, and the ritalin helps constrict them, but maybe COMT influences that, i don't know.

Have you tried mestinon or read about it? I also have issues with bloodvessels. Compression tights etc does something positive for me, so I wonder if mestinon could help.

JasonUT

Hi! I have done some COMT testing and awaiting results. I have high dopamine in serum (about 10 times over the reference range), but normal (medium) dopamine in 24 hour urine. Not sure whether this helps, but thought I would leave it here.

I have high Dopamine in plasma and high urine Dopamine metabolites, HVA. I don't know why.

Have you found any answers? Pheochromocytoma or paragangliomas?

bertiedog

I think i have slow COMT, here's my results on genetic genie
screen-shot-2020-07-25-at-3-59-21-pm-png.38407

I also have these and definitely have an overactive brain and have chronic migraine and insomnia and think these SNPs could play a part.

However I do get help from low dose GABA and also Valarian drops. The other drug that has helped me more than anything to get to sleep when I am finding it impossible for my brain to switch off is just a 1/4 of clonazapan. Over 20 years it has rarely let me down but I don't take it every night, 30 tablets last me at least 10 months, ie 120 doses. Also I have never increased the dose. It has been a God send for me and saved my sanity through the occasional horrendous night.

I seem to remember that one can get worse symptoms when these COMT SNPs are combined with some other ones but cannot remember which ones! But I ado remember I had some of those too!

Pam

judyinthesky

I have high Dopamine in plasma and high urine Dopamine metabolites, HVA. I don't know why.

Have you found any answers? Pheochromocytoma or paragangliomas?

Not so far, no. I have done another analysis and then it was low, this time it was urine levels. Low dopamine and low norepinephrine. And low adrenaline also, but that's constantly for me.
It's all a bit mysterious but then again many doctors say this doesn't mean much.