• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleeping Pill users likely to die early

taniaaust1

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...s-likely-to-die-early/articleshow/6531083.cms

Popping a pill might seem a small price to pay for a peaceful night's sleep. But beware of the long-term cost - those who pop sleeping pills are a third more likely to die prematurely than those who don't, says latest research.

The figure takes into account factors that can affect longevity, from social class and chronic health conditions to smoking and alcohol use. And, unlike previous research, it also recognises the effects of depression, reports the Daily Mail.

With around 10 million sleeping pill prescriptions in Britain and many more tablets sold over the counter, the findings have significant implications for the health and habits of the nation, says the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry.

Crucially, the study did not distinguish between those who were heavy users and those who only took them occasionally.

Researcher Genevieve Belleville of the Laval University in Quebec, Canada said: "These medications aren't candy and taking them is far from harmless."

Belleville analysed 12 years of data on more than 12,000 Canadians. When all other factors were equal, death rates were found to be significantly higher among sleeping pill users and those taking tablets to ease anxiety.

Pill takers were more likely to succumb to every type of illness, from parasites to cancer, she said.

Read more: Sleeping pill users likely to die early - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e-early/articleshow/6531083.cms#ixzz0zDtLjNIp

Min

The study has forgotten to take into account the fact that sleeping pill users are likely to already be suffering from some neurological or other illness that is causing the sleeplessness, and that this may lead to earlier death.

I'm sure that researchers could prove the moon really is made of cheese if they wanted to just by the way the research was slanted.

SOC

This is one of those "studies" that confuses correlation with causation. They always seems to get into the media. :rolleyes:

As Min said, there could be many other correlations between taking sleeping pills and dying sooner including ill health, poor sleep, psychological issues and no doubt many others.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I'm a minority case as I get zero deep sleep (not considered a sleep disorder!!) and will probably die quite early between that issue and the toll CFS takes on me. But without sleep meds I would barely sleep at all and would absolutly due even sooner.

Oh the games people play with data.

ixchelkali

BBC News: "Lack of sleep linked to early death'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8660373.stm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20469800

BTW, this same study found that too much sleep was also linked with early death, but they thought that was probably because people who are sick tend to sleep more. (!!!)

So it looks like you're pretty much damned if you, damned if you don't. :cool:

Say it with me now, "Correlation is not causation." :sofa:

Dolphin

Crucially, the study did not distinguish between those who were heavy users and those who only took them occasionally.
I don't know why this is a virtue of the study.

To me, it seems:
If there was a dose-dependent response, it might increase the chances it was the drugs (although could still be due to other factors).
If there is no dose-dependent response, it's likely to be the sort of people who take pills.
We don't find out which it is (from looking at piece above)