• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Skin pain after 1.5 yrs compression socks?

Remi

Anyone else develop skin pain from support socks? I used knee highs, custom fitted and stock size. I fall in one category with all measurements, so it's not from being the wrong size.

It started after I had skipped wearing them for a week because of flu. This was 6 months ago. My skin from foot to knee feels like sand scratches over sunburnt skin when I wear any socks or shoes. Or when I put one ankle over the other when sitting with feet up. I have varicose veins on the front of my ankles.

I can stand foot baths, also very hot or cold ones. Socks and shoes for a short trip outside are OK, but really need to be barefoot most of the time. Or loose slippers. Flip flops hurt a lot where the thongs are attached. Near the heels the pain is often there and betweeen the toes less often. I have had the latter for years, but near the heel is new, have calluses there now.

I haven't consulted a doctor, from reading I understood you can only numb the pain with meds like Duloxetine. As I have just come off SSRI 2 months ago due to side effects, I don't want a new med for a long while. B12 labs (homocysteine, MMA, intrinsic factor b6, iron, folate) are good after tons of suppletion.

Really bummed about it, my feet and lower legs felt so much better with compression. I'm mostly housebound, not bedbound or supine a lot, except for naps. Is this peripheral neuropathy?

Remi

Thank you so much! My withdrawal sx seemed to have begun after I went from SC B12 jabs to IM jabs. I.e. months before I tapered off. The neuropathy started around the same time. It's possible SC didn't do much and the interference in liver methylation started then for real.

This would mean it can disappear, though I read it can also be permanent. Do you think it also possible that I had developed skin pain during SSRI, but the SSRI had been suppressing it?

bread.

nobody and no amount of information you gather will tell you that, just save yourself from going down that rabbit hole.

Remi

True and it can also be from hypothyroidism, which I am still adjusting dose for.

Seven7

Seven
I get the same why I don't use them as much, If I use knee high, the pain is in the border where they end, (since the pooling moves to that area. I did not do well on compression, so I only use to travel to be honest, meds the rest of the time, Also they stop working after a while (and only pain is left).

Remi

My biggest pain is at the ankles, I used round-knitted ones that have the highest compression in that area. I could not stand the silicone borders, but the elastic hems were OK pain wise - they did leave indentation marks. Could not stand the 30-40 mmhg ones for a long time either. To avoid having to take them off durimg the day, I only wore 20-30 mmhg round knits.

They worked well all the time that I used them. Really miss the improved circulation.