• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Skewing of the B cell receptor repertoire in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (Sato et al., 2021)

SlamDancin

Wakiro Sato, Hirohiko Ono, Takaji Matsutani, Masakazu Nakamura, Isu Shin, Keiko Amano, Ryuji Suzuki, Takashi Yamamura,
Skewing of the B cell receptor repertoire in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome,
Brain, Behavior, and Immunity,

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating condition characterized by fatigue and post-exertional malaise, accompanied by various signs of neurological and autonomic dysfunction. ME/CFS is often triggered by an infectious episode and associated with an aberrant immune system. Here we report that ME/CFS is a disorder characterized by skewed B cell receptor gene usage. By applying a next-generation sequencing to determine the clone-based IGHV/IGHD/IGHJ repertoires, we revealed a biased usage of several IGHV genes in peripheral blood B cells from ME/CFS patients. Results of receiver operating characteristic (ROC) analysis further indicated a possibility of distinguishing patients from healthy controls, based on the skewed B cell repertoire. Meanwhile, B cell clones using IGHV3-30 and IGHV3-30-3 genes were more frequent in patients with an obvious infection-related episode at onset, and correlated to expression levels of interferon response genes in plasmablasts. Collectively, these results imply that B cell responses in ME/CFS are directed against an infectious agents or priming antigens induced before disease onset.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889159121001537?via=ihub

Last edited:

Pyrrhus

This appears to be their main point:

Sato et al 2021 said:
IGHV3-30 and IGHV3-30-3 genes were more frequent in patients with an obvious infection-related episode at onset, and correlated to expression levels of interferon response genes in plasmablasts. Collectively, these results imply that B cell responses in ME/CFS are directed against an infectious agent

nerd

They also found an upregulation/overexpression of IFN-I-inducible genes MX1 and IFI16 (consistent with previous research). This makes viral pathology the most likely causality.