• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sinus surgery

splusholia

I have struggled with sinus issues since I was a child. I get red flushed cheeks, face pain, etc. I’ve tried all the suggestions on this board and more, and nothing has really helped.

I recently had a CT scan that found inflammation in my maxillary sinuses. My ENT has said I would be a good candidate for surgery.

Has anyone had any experiences of surgery? I have severe/moderate CFS. I am stronger now than I was but I am aware that things could always cause me to relapse back into severe. Moderate CFS is bad, but severe CFS is another level of suffering — so I am fearful. I don’t know whether to risk the surgery in case it helps me? When I get a sinus infection now my level of functioning goes right down. I can become dizzy, confused — light and sound sensitivity worsen. The fatigue is awful. I know I need to get a handle on this inflammation, but it’s harder than it sounds.

I would welcome any advice or opinions on the operation.

hapl808

I had sinus surgery many years ago (90's) so I'm not sure my experience is helpful. If you're severe/moderate at the moment, I feel for you on the decision. I'm about the same leaning toward severe (completely housebound, only occasionally bedbound, unable to walk unassisted). I can't imagine recovering from a doctor's visit anymore, let alone surgery.

linusbert

I have struggled with sinus issues since I was a child. I get red flushed cheeks, face pain, etc. I’ve tried all the suggestions on this board and more, and nothing has really helped.

I recently had a CT scan that found inflammation in my maxillary sinuses. My ENT has said I would be a good candidate for surgery.

Has anyone had any experiences of surgery? I have severe/moderate CFS. I am stronger now than I was but I am aware that things could always cause me to relapse back into severe. Moderate CFS is bad, but severe CFS is another level of suffering — so I am fearful. I don’t know whether to risk the surgery in case it helps me? When I get a sinus infection now my level of functioning goes right down. I can become dizzy, confused — light and sound sensitivity worsen. The fatigue is awful. I know I need to get a handle on this inflammation, but it’s harder than it sounds.

my throat-nose-ear doctor told me that a skewed nasal septum could in some cases lead to increased sinus infections. i think its a simple operation. if you can afford it health wise you might try.
though i also heard reports from people who lost a bit of their smelling ability by this.

geraldt52

I can offer you two bits of "advice" based on my own experience.

First, don't underestimate how serious a sinus surgery can be. Recovery from one is no walk in the park, and you shouldn't expect to be up and around for several weeks, at best.

Second, I had bi-lateral sinus surgery done before CFS was an accepted diagnosis. The surgery was done on the theory that my myriad of symptoms were being caused by a long simmering deep infection in my sinuses that showed only marginally on xrays. It was a somewhat controversial idea. When all was said and done the surgery really did nothing. I was diagnosed with CFS a year or two later. So, yes, a lingering deep sinus infection can cause serious symptoms, and, no, in my case the surgery was a huge disruption to life for no benefit.

Only you can decide if it's worth a try...

linusbert

I can offer you two bits of "advice" based on my own experience.

First, don't underestimate how serious a sinus surgery can be. Recovery from one is no walk in the park, and you shouldn't expect to be up and around for several weeks, at best.

Second, I had bi-lateral sinus surgery done before CFS was an accepted diagnosis. The surgery was done on the theory that my myriad of symptoms were being caused by a long simmering deep infection in my sinuses that showed only marginally on xrays. It was a somewhat controversial idea. When all was said and done the surgery really did nothing. I was diagnosed with CFS a year or two later. So, yes, a lingering deep sinus infection can cause serious symptoms, and, no, in my case the surgery was a huge disruption to life for no benefit.

Only you can decide if it's worth a try...

i actually kinda agree with you. i also think it might be a nothing burger often. doctors are really keen to do operations these days.

but i know one case, actually my best friend, who got really sick with some kind of rheumatic inflamatory disease. he barely could use his arms because they were inflammed all the time. like a very bad tenosynovitis.
he had a nose or sinus surgery, i do not know exactly anymore and a few rounds of antibiotics and all his problems went away.

Wayne

Hi @splusholia -- I would highly recommend looking into "balloon sinuplasty" before going forward with sinus surgery. As it's explained in the following 1-minute video, it is less invasive and can be more effective than sinus surgery. I've had this done myself with good benefits.

Balloon Sinuplasty Explanation

Draining the sinuses can sometimes have a profound effect on brain function and/or head pressure, with some literature making references to "rehydrating the brain", and improving various forms of hypopituitarism. Makes me think about the HPA axis and ANS dysfunction many of us deal with, and whether in some cases it may be connected to our sinuses.

splusholia

Hi @splusholia -- I would highly recommend looking into "balloon sinuplasty" before going forward with sinus surgery. As it's explained in the following 1-minute video, it is less invasive and can be more effective than sinus surgery. I've had this done myself with good benefits.

Balloon Sinuplasty Explanation

Draining the sinuses can sometimes have a profound effect on brain function and/or head pressure, with some literature making references to "rehydrating the brain", and improving various forms of hypopituitarism. Makes me think about the HPA axis and ANS dysfunction many of us deal with, and whether in some cases it may be connected to our sinuses.

Thank you. What benefits did you find? I don’t think it’s widely available in the UK yet, but I’ll do some research :)

lenora

Yes, I would try other means of opening the sinuses before going for surgery. I've heard too many stories ranging from constant pain to not doing any good whatsoever.

I've had a few surgeries (for other diagnoses) and know that not one of them is without some problem that hadn't been thought of. By the way, I also have sinus problems, but I'm too old to go unnecessarily submitting for surgery. It is hard to breathe though and allergies are rampant. Just a nuisance. Sorry for you.Yours, Lenora

splusholia

Unfortunately I think the balloon procedure is too expensive for me. Surgery is the only option I have available on the NHS. I think the thing is… I don’t want an unnecessary surgery, but I don’t want to be ignoring a problem that could be making my CFS a lot worse. For some reason I have suffered terribly with my sinuses. For example even pre-CFS when I was working, I would get infections that would leave me barely able to walk. I will have to force myself to go into work and I would feel completely disorientated and at the point of collapsing. And so I think if that could make me feel like that, when I was physically at my strongest, could this not be negatively impacting my body now?

But, equally, the strain of surgery could make me worse. So I just don’t know.

linusbert

Unfortunately I think the balloon procedure is too expensive for me. Surgery is the only option I have available on the NHS. I think the thing is… I don’t want an unnecessary surgery, but I don’t want to be ignoring a problem that could be making my CFS a lot worse. For some reason I have suffered terribly with my sinuses. For example even pre-CFS when I was working, I would get infections that would leave me barely able to walk. I will have to force myself to go into work and I would feel completely disorientated and at the point of collapsing. And so I think if that could make me feel like that, when I was physically at my strongest, could this not be negatively impacting my body now?

But, equally, the strain of surgery could make me worse. So I just don’t know.

constant infections especially airways and sinuses is always also a vitamin D thing. people need to have a blood value of at least 40+ng/ml - 100ng/ml ... and in those persistent cases it wouldnt be bad to aim for the upper level.

a friend of mine always complaining about sinuses, throat and some weird asthma cough after catching a common cold.. he would have problems for 1-2 months until those symptoms reside. he had like 2-3 episodes every year of this.
i told him to take high dosage vD every week.
after a year i have talking to him, asking him whats the situation, ... he tells me he still got in approx 1 year like 1-2 episodes of commond cold and the symptoms. ... sounded like a disappointment.
then i asked him how long and intense those symptoms were... he said not longer than a few days to up a week.
now thats an improvement!
the problem isnt gone, but its much better. and i bet if he actually took it constantly and wouldnt forget every now and then it would even be better.

so this alone can make a difference.

vitamin D makes the body produce its own antibiotics and antivirals, they are called defensin and catheletizin. in addition to modulate immune response (up or down regulating depending on what the body actually needs).

lenora

Hello @splusholia....in the end the decision is yours. You could try the Vitamin 'D' but who knows whether it would work for you or not.

Do you know a nurse? That's usually a good and quick way to find out the outcomes of most surgeries and the surgeons who do them. Out of interest, a good portion of the population has a deviated septum, so I wouldn't let that sway you.

On the other hand, if you're miserable a lot of the time...have infections constantly, only you can determine how bad it really is. These decisions are always hard and I understand.

Again though, if your sinus problems are allergies caused by say, mold and mildew then what good is it going to do you? Have you seen an allergist? Were tests done? If so, which ones showed up and couldn't a nasal spray (prescription, not OTC) be tried first? I agree that sinuses are a nuisance....as I sit here with my usual allergic reactions. Don't have an answer for you; but you do. Yours, Lenora

Wayne

if your sinus problems are allergies caused by say, mold and mildew then what good is it going to do you?

When I first heard about "Nasal Specific" (the procedure where they inflate a balloon in the sinuses), I talked with a friend of mine who had had it done about 30-40 years earlier. She had grown up in Michigan, and had severe alleries her whole life. Whe she heard that having this procedure done might help, she decided to go for it, and it completely eliminated all her allergies. And never bothered her again afterwards.

My understanding is ENTs and various allergy doctors are now recommending this procedure, albeit a modifed one where they put a person under anesthesia, and charge thousands of dollars for it. Most chiropractors that do this usually charge the cost of a single visit, which is the route I went.

I have been having sinusitis problems since my childhood however it worsen after catching covid two years ago.
all the doctors told a deviated septum in left and also in brain mri left sided infection was noted.
what about having septum surgery first then trying to cure the sinusitis with drugs.
it really destroy my quality of life. waking up with a clogged left nose and also with port nasal drip. could not breath properly on left side most of the time.
any suggestions?

Andryr

what about having septum surgery first then trying to cure the sinusitis with drugs.
No guarantees. I've had post nasal drip and feeling of inflamed nasopharynx since 1996. ENTs first blame it on allergies then on GERD then on deviated septum. No allergies, no reflux. I took septum surgery 2 years ago and here I am with the same old symptoms.
I would take a cheaper and less destructive option first, whatever it is.

lenora

Well @wolves2626 there are sprays that can be used daily during allergy season (containing steroids, but they don't affect the body in the same way) that can be obtained by prescription. The oldest one is now OTC and my husband (who has the worst allergies I've ever seen) finds great relief with his.

It's hit or miss with me and I should see a physician about this misery. I'm just tired of doctors, however, and really need a year without a new one on the scene. Well, depending on how bad the sinus situation becomes, that is.

Really, I'm too old to be this sick with "things.":D It's the infections that cause the misery...and they do have to be attended to. Balloon surgery sounds interesting IF it works. Thanks everyone. Yours, Lenora

No guarantees. I've had post nasal drip and feeling of inflamed nasopharynx since 1996. ENTs first blame it on allergies then on GERD then on deviated septum. No allergies, no reflux. I took septum surgery 2 years ago and here I am with the same old symptoms.
I would take a cheaper and less destructive option first, whatever it is.
I wonder if the surgery did any positive effect on your breathing.
whatever the less destructive option ? any suggestions? I tried quercetin antibiotics lots of things.

Andryr

I wonder if the surgery did any positive effect on your breathing.
The thing is I never actually complained about breathing so I do not know if it might cause any positive effect.
What surgery caused though was intense throat itching getting worse as laid down. With my CFS-like sypmtoms I spend a lot of time in bed. And now I had cough all day and night long getting very little sllep and that was terrible adding even more issues. It took my ENT almost a year to solve that by applying trichloroacetic acid to my throat.
whatever the less destructive option ?
I mean if I was to choose between surgery and antibiotics I would take antibiotics first.

The thing is I never actually complained about breathing so I do not know if it might cause any positive effect.
What surgery caused though was intense throat itching getting worse as laid down. With my CFS-like sypmtoms I spend a lot of time in bed. And now I had cough all day and night long getting very little sllep and that was terrible adding even more issues. It took my ENT almost a year to solve that by applying trichloroacetic acid to my throat.

I mean if I was to choose between surgery and antibiotics I would take antibiotics first.
thanks for the info and suggestions . just wondering trichloroacetic acid ? what is it? what is the usage of it?

Andryr

Afaik some ENTs or cosmetologists use it as an agent to coagulate excessive tissues, maybe in Eastern Europe only, I don't know. My ENT looked at the itching area and told me I had excessive lymphoid tissue in my throat that could be the cause.