• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Side effects of Schizandra?

Tiger Lily 813

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows why Schizandra could have set me back.
It really helped me sleep (possibly more than anything else has), but ultimately after two weeks brought on a setback so I won't be taking it anymore.
My theory is that it threw my adrenals or hormones out of whack, but I don't know that.
I believe it increased my hormones. Maybe my body wasn't able to furnish that response...
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks!

CCC

We've found no problems, but we have about 5-10 drops of tincture a day with other herbs (as part of a Bartonella treatment)

A quick google found this at: http://www.herbslist.net/schizandra.html

Many people take this herb to increase energy. It is especially popular with athletes as it boosts nitric oxide levels in the body. It fights fatigue as well, making it even more beneficial. Schizandra increases energy at the cellular level.

The Health Sciences Institute states that schizandra berry can raise the body’s enzyme, glutathione. This enzyme detoxifies the body in a way that improves mental clarity. It is widely taken by students in China for this reason.

Probably its best known property is as a protector of the liver, due to the lignans it contains. It helps maintain its proper functioning and regeneration and is also used to prevent liver damage. Schizandra uses its fat soluble compounds found in the core of its seed to protect the liver from toxins.

Schizandra is often used in the treatment of hepatitis C. Besides its liver protecting properties, it is also beneficial to the kidneys as it helps balances the fluid in the body.

This amazing herb also contains antioxidants, such as gomisin A and Wuweizisu C, to protect your cells from free radicals and prevent oxidation. This is why it’s often used in longevity formulas in Chinese medicine.

And this at: https://www.nootropedia.com/schisandra/
Schisandra reduces neuroinflammation [8]. By downregulating certain “cytokines” and other inflammatory markers, this provides cognitive protective benefits. One molecule (schisandrin C) can even induce a pathway known as NRF2 similar to broccoli sprouts (sulfurophane) [9].

There's also a lot in the TCM literature, but I don't really have the knowledge to help you work out whether it simply disagreed with you (but in facny TCM words).

RWP (Rest without Peace)

@Tiger Lily 813

Yes, Schizandra can be a two-edged sword, as can most adrenal herbs. My wife, @PWR (Peace without Rest), used it for years every day, and in large quantities. Then, it began giving her sleep disorder. It can have a "revving" effect on the adrenals. So it's possible that it helped you until you didn't need it as much or at all anymore. Then, it began to backfire.

RWP + PWR

Tiger Lily 813

Thank you all for sharing your experiences- interesting about the adrenal boost. I can't take the animal-sourced glandulars (as many of you mentioned the boost makes me crash), and although Schisandra is different, that's a possibility. I really felt that whatever messed me up caused a hormonal imbalance too. Could have been another feature of the adrenal boost... but it is always so hard to detect the exact cause! I was taking Bilberry as well, but don't especially suspect it.
Thank you all for your feedback <3