• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SIBO and Calcium D Glucarate

Hello,
I have a history of gut issues (SIBO, Yeast) and anxiety for the last 8 years. I tried calcium D Glucarate to reduce my anxiety (high estrogen) and it seemed to really calm me down. I started with 200mg per day but in the second day I had stomach distress and diarrhea. I had similar reactions to probiotics. Any ideas why I may have got diarrhea with calcium D Glucarate? Thanks

ljimbo423

Calcium D Glucarate helps the liver detoxify toxins.

It could have mobilized toxins, which get concentrated in the bile and the bile gets dumped into the gut to help digest fat and to get rid of the toxins.

It could be that the toxins in the bile, irritated your gut, which caused the diarrhea. Those of us with ME/CFS have very high levels of oxidative stress from toxins.

Which I think make us much more likely to have adverse reactions to things that help the body detoxify.

Jim

@ljimbo423 That's a good point. The same also happens when I take probiotics.

So I still want to continue Calcium D Glucarate as it helps detoxify estrogen. Should I start taking very small doses or are there better ways to avoid the gut issues and diarrhoea?

ljimbo423

@ljimbo423 That's a good point. The same also happens when I take probiotics.

So I still want to continue Calcium D Glucarate as it helps detoxify estrogen. Should I start taking very small doses or are there better ways to avoid the gut issues and diarrhoea?

I would try a much smaller dose, like maybe 25mg, for a few days. If that goes well, maybe bump it up to 50mg for a few days, etc. It could also help If you take it with food, if you aren't already.

That would slow down it's absorption and lessen any chances that it could be irritating your gut by direct contact with it.

I have a history of gut issues (SIBO, Yeast) and anxiety for the last 8 years.

I would like to also address this if it's alright.

I had moderate to severe anxiety attacks for MANY, MANY years that have disappeared completely after 2 courses of Rifaximin for sibo and daily herbs to kill off sibo/dysbiosis.

Something I didn't expect but was an incredible gift!!!!

@ljimbo423 Sure I will start from 25mg and up the dose gradually.

I have tried Rifaximin a few times but SIBO keeps coming back. That in turn causes high estrogen, hypo thyroid and other issues like fatigue and anxiety. Which herbs did you take and for how long? My diet is almost carbohydrates as I am gluten intolerant and cannot eat many foods due to the gluten or diary content.

ljimbo423

I have tried Rifaximin a few times but SIBO keeps coming back.

Yes, that's very common. I think it will take a long term low carb diet and daily herbs that treat sibo/dysbiois to get rid of it once and for all.

I've been on a low carb diet and taking a low dose of herbs for sibo/dysbiosis for just over a year now and it's not gone yet.

Although I have made great progress. I think one of the biggest things that slow things down in treating it are biofilms.

They protect the bacterial overgrowth and make it very hard to completely get rid of.

Which herbs did you take and for how long?

I have taken many different herbs over the last year. Ceylon, cinnamon, neem, oil of oregano, thyme, holy basil, berberine and others. Not all at the same time though.:) I am still taking the herbs, the longer I treat the sibo/dysbiois the better I feel.

I don't notice the improvements day to day or even week to week but I definitely notice them month to month!

Holy Basil and 5htp are great for anxiety. I take 50mg 5htp and 100-200mg holy basil and it works FAR better than prescriptions I've been on like, Klonopin, xanax, valium etc.

Yes, that's very common. I think it will take a long term low carb diet and daily herbs that treat sibo/dysbiois to get rid of it once and for all.

I've been on a low carb diet and taking a low dose of herbs for sibo/dysbiosis for just over a year now and it's not gone yet.

Although I have made great progress. I think one of the biggest things that slow things down in treating it are biofilms.

They protect the bacterial overgrowth and make it very hard to completely get rid

Holy Basil and 5htp,etc. are great for anxiety. I take 50mg 5htp and 100-200mg holy basil and it works FAR better than prescriptions I've been on like, Klonopin, xanax, valium etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If some one's anxiety can be controlled by HBasil, 5HTP, etc and no pharmaceuticals needed, that anxiety case is not too bad. Those supplements won't touch my insomnia & anxiety, no way. The case from Hell.

ljimbo423

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If some one's anxiety can be controlled by HBasil, 5HTP, etc and no pharmaceuticals needed, that anxiety case is not too bad. Those supplements won't touch my insomnia & anxiety, no way. The case from Hell.

My anxiety now is much milder than it was and I don't get anxiety attacks anymore but it's still significant. The 5htp and holy basil work perfectly with my body chemistry for some reason.

I have tried dozens of herbal combinations over many, many years and this is the only one that dramatically lowers my anxiety.

Jim

Runner5

"Yes, that's very common. I think it will take a long term low carb diet and daily herbs that treat sibo/dysbiois to get rid of it once and for all."

Plant based whole food high fiber diet has made my gut microbes pretty happy. I'm very much improved. But those plant foods are indeed, carbohydrates. While on a low-carb diet I was very much worse, I had no good munchies for my gut microbes and I really paid a hefty price for that diet.

kangaSue

I have tried Rifaximin a few times but SIBO keeps coming back.
I've seen it mentioned often that where SIBO wasn't fixed with rifaximin alone, having it in combination with metronidazole was needed to fix the issue.

If you are a methane producer, rifaximin doesn't eliminate SIBO and it will return, with increased intensity after each course of rifaximin in some cases.

For SIBO in general, I've seen it suggested that regardless of what type of antibiotic course is tried, following it up with low dose naltrexone can stop it from re-ocurring.

@ljimbo423 Sure I will start from 25mg and up the dose gradually.

I have tried Rifaximin a few times but SIBO keeps coming back. That in turn causes high estrogen, hypo thyroid and other issues like fatigue and anxiety. Which herbs did you take and for how long? My diet is almost carbohydrates as I am gluten intolerant and cannot eat many foods due to the gluten or diary content.

Were u able to introduce calcium glucarate succesfully? it seems to give me loose stools too