• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shingrix adjuvant QS-21

lizw118

I am trying to decide whether or not to get Shingrix. I have a prescription for it, but I am not sure if I should follow through with it. Shingrix is not live Shingles. It is a new vaccine that contains an adjuvant QS-21 which is said to stimulate T cells.
On one hand, I believe much of the pain around my eyes and head is a form of post herpetic neuralgia, as my worst symptoms started after contracting HV. Medications which help neuralgia, like gabapentin, help thee symptoms immensely until the meds wear off, which they almost always do.
So maybe the Shingrix vaccine could help with the neuragia. If I contract shingles I believe that would be very detrimental to my nerve related symptoms, and I would like to avoid shingles.

On the other hand, I believe some of my illness is autoimmune, and I worry that the adjuvant might stimulate the wrong part of my immune system.

Does anyone have experience with this vaccine or any advice? Thanks in advance
Liz

LaurelW

My doctor recommended I get the Shingrix vaccine as well, so I'm wondering if anyone here has had the vaccine and how they tolerated it. I had chicken pox as a child, so am apparently at risk for shingles.

determined

On one hand, I believe much of the pain around my eyes and head is a form of post herpetic neuralgia, as my worst symptoms started after contracting HV.
So maybe the Shingrix vaccine could help with the neuragia. If I contract shingles I believe that would be very detrimental to my nerve related symptoms, and I would like to avoid shingles.

On the other hand, I believe some of my illness is autoimmune, and I worry that the adjuvant might stimulate the wrong part of my immune system.

Does anyone have experience with this vaccine or any advice? Thanks in advance
Liz[/QUOTE]
Hi Liz, I am wondering the same thing. I have been having pain around my eyes and face. Now I have shingles.