• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sex, Whales, PACE and............................Professor Michael Sharpe

Countrygirl

https://dancinginthedark.home.blog/...d-a-french-psychiatrist/?fbclid=IwAR3NPIdSoxN
I am in a small town in Alsace for my year abroad. I started the year determined, once again, to ignore my symptoms and ‘act normal’ as advised by my dismissive college GP, hoping that this time – four years since I first got ill and still with no idea what is going on – it might work. Within a couple of months I have completely collapsed again and am iller than ever. A couple of GP appointments and one round of clear standard blood tests and I find myself sent to see a psychiatrist. I’m willing to do pretty much anything that might help me get better. I am beginning to wonder if I am actually going mad since nobody can find any explanation for all my symptoms. At worst it will be an interesting experience and I will get to practice my French.

He starts by firing questions at me. Things start to unravel when he gets to ‘Tell me about your boyfriend’ and I have to admit that I don’t have one. This is apparently NOT NORMAL and NOT HEALTHY for a young woman of 21 and is probably the cause of all my problems.

To my relief he seems to be tired of sex and changes tack: ‘What does your surname mean?’ he asks.

I am pleased to be able to produce a surname with an obvious meaning, and one which I can easily translate into French. At least it gets us away from his obsession with sex.

Whale’, I say, ‘baleine’.

wal-600387_1280-1-e1560858515618.png

He thinks for a while and then becomes visibly excited. ‘You became very ill during October. Do you remember those whales trapped in the ice in Alaska in October? They were on the news every day. How did you feel about them?

I am a bit confused. What have whales trapped in the ice in Alaska got to do with me being ill?

19th Jun 2019 at 6:27 pm
This one didn’t do me any lasting harm, I don’t think, thankfully. Though he added to the tally of medical professionals spouting nonsense at me and undermining me which has had a long term effect. It was a later psychiatrist in the UK who really did me a lot of harm both physically and mentally by forcing CBT (to talk people with ME out of their ‘false illness beliefs’) and graded exercise therapy on me to the point where I ended up hospitalised. Whereupon he and his colleagues came and shouted at me in my hospital bed for messing up their statistics and not getting better.
That one was still seeing ME patients until recently and is responsible for a hugely controversial and now largely debunked trial of his treatments (PACE) which has been used to justify these treatments for ME since 2011 and which still holds sway in the UK. Even though the trial was on patients with mild chronic fatigue rather than ME and it has been shown that the already not very impressive results (only 22% ‘recovered’) were manipulated in several ways (for one, they changed the definition of ‘recovery’ half way through so that people could actually get worse and be counted as ‘recovered’).
He is still supported by the establishment and was on Radio 4 only the other month claiming that he is leaving the field because of harassment by patients. And in the Sunday Times. Painting himself as the victim.
He really screwed me up as well as making me incredibly unwell. Nothing amusing about him, it was medical abuse, but he may feature in a blog one day. Though he’s very powerful still and would probably try to sue me if I told the truth. It would be hard to disguise who I was talking about, he is so well known.

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I think a lot of not so stable people gravitate to that profession to begin with. It attracts a lot of narcissists because they are given power to judge others and thus affect lives usually without impunity. We give them too much power to control because they are "experts."

taniaaust1

. It was a later psychiatrist in the UK who really did me a lot of harm both physically and mentally by forcing CBT (to talk people with ME out of their ‘false illness beliefs’) and graded exercise therapy on me to the point where I ended up hospitalised. Whereupon he and his colleagues came and shouted at me in my hospital bed for messing up their statistics and not getting better.

ohh so is that how they got their 22% recovery rate lol. Yelling at patients till they bullied them into saying they were well. One honestly has to wonder how many of the patients in these studies were given "attitude" by these doctors when telling the truth of things.