• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe Orthostatic & Vertigo Events

I was wondering if anyone else has severe orthostic and Vestibular events where they can't stand up without extreme vertigo and extreme orthostatic intolerance. The symptoms seem to be stimulated by most "M.E" related herbal/vitamin therapies such as antioxidants, b-12 and protein supplements. The symptoms appear during the night or when trying to rise for the first time in the morning. Once the attempt at standing stimulates the symptoms the patient is stuck in bed for at least 12 hours where often they cant even rotate their head nor lift their head an inch. All vestibular testing appears to be relatively normal. This particular person I am referencing also has chronic dizziness, mild vertigo and significant postural orthostatic tachycardia throughout the day for about 5 years.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi jayhawk - are you a GP?!

This doesn't sound like the ME related OI or POTS that I have. The symptoms or OI are relieved fairly quickly by lying down. Even though I sometimes have days with extremely low blood pressure (70/50) and have to lie down, I can move my head etc. Tachycardia used to come on and last for hours or days, sometimes posturally related and sometimes not.

The dizziness you're describing sounds more like Meniere's disease to me. Have you checked in this person has that weird Meniere-type nystagmus during attacks, or nausea?

Carrigon

Mine can last twelve hours on a bad day. I can tell you what will trigger it and bring it on. Nitrates and garlic in the diet. Both lower blood pressure and can trigger a severe attack up to 48 hours after ingestion. Removal of nitrates and garlic from the diet will show a significant improvement. And upping the salt intake.

Esther12

Over the last nine months I've started getting vertigo and migraines. Not sure I've got any useful advice though. I've been trying to use a 'balance ball' - and may have found it to be some use with the balance problems which seem to continue after a vertigo attack.

Hi Athene,

The symptoms appearantly started out in a more classical presentation but gradually progressed into a state where lying down gave little improvement to the baseline symptoms. However, if the person doesnt lay down on a "regular day" the orthostatic symptoms worsen as they stand longer.

Interesting that you noted garlic as a trigger. They reported that they first suspected garlic, however, being from southeast asia their diet is loaded with raw and cooked garlic. Most days the garlic is clearly not triggering the severe attacks.

There is actually a treatment for vertigo associated migranes. Dr Bell mentioned in his newsletter about a patient with persistent vertigo that tried the medication and it reduced their symptoms. If I remember right they didnt have headaaches.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi Jayhawk,
Getting a worsening of symptoms if the person doesn't lie down on a normal day makes me think this is largely triggered by tiredness. This seems to be the biggest trigger for really bad low blood pressure attacks for me, which can go on for days and make my OI much worse.
I always eat heaps of salt, I drink gallons of liquorice tea (which I hate!) but the only really significant improvements come from getting plenty of rest.
The only foods I have found that have any effect are ones with fructose - I have fructose malabsorption and this low BP is a common symptom also in people without ME. Garlic has high fructose, but if the person you are talking about has mild fructose problems, she may be able to tolerate a certain amount of garlic but then get an attack when coupling it with some other high fructose food. Everyone has their limit and the problems start when you go over it.
Though clearly it looks as if we all have our various triggers.

xchocoholic

I was wondering if anyone else has severe orthostic and Vestibular events where they can't stand up without extreme vertigo and extreme orthostatic intolerance. The symptoms seem to be stimulated by most "M.E" related herbal/vitamin therapies such as antioxidants, b-12 and protein supplements. The symptoms appear during the night or when trying to rise for the first time in the morning. Once the attempt at standing stimulates the symptoms the patient is stuck in bed for at least 12 hours where often they cant even rotate their head nor lift their head an inch. All vestibular testing appears to be relatively normal. This particular person I am referencing also has chronic dizziness, mild vertigo and significant postural orthostatic tachycardia throughout the day for about 5 years.

Chronic hypoglycemia was causing me to feel to weak to stand up first thing in the morning. A GTT plus insulin would be a good idea here ... also hopefully this patient has been tested for food intolerances, candida, parasites and nutritional deficiencies ... tc ... x