• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sensitive to Plastic. Dental filling advice

Hi everyone,

I have recently found out I'm extremely sensitive to plastics. I can't even put a plastic water bottle between my lips for 10 seconds with burning them. Sadly I have already had a composite resin dental filling put in late last year before I found out about my sensitivities. For months now, I've been having a throbbing tooth problem that keeps coming and going constantly but the Dentist couldn't find anything wrong with the work. It wasn't until recently I thought the two might be connected. I am hoping to go to my next appointment armed with more information and what safe fillings, fillers and cement/linings to use as an alternative. I am hoping at my next appointment to also get a list of exactly what the Dentist may have put inside so I can cross check. I can't begin to imagine all the fillings that are petroleum derivatives

While I do have your ear regarding dentistry, what kind of toothbrush/floss am I looking to get if I have such an adverse reaction to plastic? I'm beginning to think the bristles are affecting me, as just having floss on my lips can completely dry them out.

Thank you!