• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

self-made face masks

Inara

In times of face mask shortages, I had the idea to make a face mask myself - in case I may need it some day, you never know.

I used this sewing pattern:
https://sewsimple.de/anleitung-mundschutz-naehen-mit-schnittmuster/

But you actually don't need a sewing pattern. I used a 17cm x 17cm square and made 3 plaits. I just neated the seams and didn't use bias tape (too much work). I used molleton. It's washable at 95° (and a dentist recommended it on the sewing pattern website). You can use any other densely weaved material; another dentist used twill tex.

Here's a picture:
20200318_123541.jpg

Please remember the sense of a face mask: It does not filter viral particles, it prevents distribution of droplets from sneezing and coughing. It needs to be washed after every usage.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Inara
I cant find it, which really peeves me .... and I can't remember where I read it, in what publication, blog,

But you should be getting a post from @Roy S that's just great, will have a lot of suggestions and couldn't be more timely.

If he doesn't post it shortly, I'll ask him if he'd mind if I posted it for him, I think it may have really important info for us DIYers ...