• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Self injections question b12

Seven7

Seven
For those of u that inject yourself the b12, how do you do it?
-Type of b12,
-Needle type
-Place in body where you inject
yourself?

I have read people use insulin needles buy do you use the instramuscular b12 liquid, or some special b12 made for that needles?

Tx,

sueami

I use insulin needles, 28 or 29 gauge. I rotate injection sites and use belly fat to the left and right of my belly button and inner thigh on each leg. Sometimes I'll inject more laterally on the belly, below the bellybutton, say, if I've given myself a bruise somewhere (which doesn't happen often) and don't want to return to that spot right away.

I use 1 mg shots of mb12 from a compounding pharmacy (McGuff's). As far as I know it is not formulated differently for the needles i use.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
-Type of b12,
Hydrox (you can inject the same solution either intramuscularly or subcut--some docs prefer one, some the other)
-Needle type--
insulin, 1 ml, 30 gauge
-Place in body where you inject--
belly, below the navel to the left or right (pull up a big pinch of flesh and inject straight in)

Apple

I inject hydroxocobalamin into my thigh muscle, about halfway down on the outer side. This is an image showing whereabouts.
Not sure if it's in the right place but my last blood test showed a level of 1500 so it's definitely being absorbed.

I will check the needle later, but it's definitely not an insulin needle.

taniaaust1

When I was doing these injections I just injected into my thigh (or my boyfriend got a kick out of ejecting me into a butt cheek, the butt check thou hurts far more! so I recommend the thigh).

Ive used all kinds of injections for it (rom little insulin needles to bigger and deeper) and experimented at different depths too, it really didnt seem to matter much (it wore off for me in about 4 days so I used to have 2 injections per week.. for a few years). If you dont want it to hurt as much I suggest the fine insulin needles.

I just used the normal hydrox B12 (Neo-B12) for injecting which came in ampules.

Ive found taking methyl form under my tongue even more affective.

I got all my needles free from a place which supported drug abusers and supplied free needles. So I just went there and walked out with boxes of needles. I had no idea what I was doing at the time or the sizes I needed. Also got sharps containers throu there too

Last edited:

taniaaust1

Inester. If you are going to do these injections, make sure you keep them out of the light as much as possible. I had quite a reaction when I started these which was either due to it causing major detox reaction or due to I'd left the ampule in the light for a couple of hours before using them. It's quite light sensitive.

Valentijn

For B12 I think intramuscular injections are preferred, and that's what doctors and nurses will do if you get injected at a clinic. But subcutaneous (into fat) is often done instead by patients at home, since it's a lot easier.

I inject a very high dose hydroxoB12 intramuscularly, twice per week. Mine comes in glass phials with necks that snap off, so I have to use a green filtered drawing needle to get it out of the phial. Then I use the big blue needles (1 inch long, 23 gauge) to inject it into a thigh muscle.

Basically it has to be done on the outer half of the upper leg. The higher and farther out it is, the less it hurts. It can also be done on the outer upper arm, but that only really works if you have someone else to do the injecting.

The one problem with IM injecting is that you might hit a blood vessel instead of a muscle. Usually you can draw the plunger back slightly to see if blood is coming into the syringe, but the B12 is already dark red so you just can't tell. I usually only hit a blood vessel once every couple months anyhow. It bleeds a lot for a minute or so after removing the needle (similar to when having blood drawn for testing), and the B12 is released into the body faster than is optimal, but otherwise it's not a big deal.

whodathunkit

When I was using long IM needles I had bruises all over my thighs. The last time I used longer, larger needle I hit a deep vein in my thigh that made an ugly bruise the size of my palm which took months to go away. I don't recommend self IM injection. My experience is that subcutaneous injection is just as effective if not more effective for mB12 than IM, as per @Freddd's recommendation.

Now I use:

12mg/ml mB12 solution (0.4ml = 5mg of mB12, but I adjust dosage down, now doing about 0.15ml/day)
30 or 31 gauge insulin needle
0.5ml syringe

I pinch an inch around my abdominal area and inject there so any little bruises don't show. Most of the time I don't feel a thing. Usually don't bruise, either, but occasionally will hit a capillary that creates a bruise no larger than a fingerprint.

Walmart sells insulin syringes 100 for $12, or something like that.

Freddd

-Type of b12,
-Needle type
-Place in body where you inject
yourself?

I have read people use insulin needles buy do you use the instramuscular b12 liquid, or some special b12 made for that needles?

Tx,

Hi Inester7,

I use 5/16" (short needle) 31 gauge insulin syringes. I use the 1ml. Since I wrap the vial and the syringe in foil, I use the 1ml syringe for 1/2ml of 20mg/ml fluid. The shaft of the plunger has a notch in it such that when it is at the edge of the barrel it is at the 0.5ml level. I can draw by feel. MeCbl is damaged quickly by light, photolyticaly breaking down to some level of HyCbl in equilibrium solution with AquaCbl. This gives me acne type lesions within 2-3 days after it starts. AdoCbl breaks down even faster from light, and even in the fridge. I have never found it to be stable enough to use for injection. In one country it is available for injection it comes as dry crystals in the vial and a vial of saline, and it is mixed on the spot and instructions to discard after 5 days. The solution for IM or SC is the same.

The IM protocol originated with docs injecting CyCbl (which back in the 50s was broken down to typically about 35% HyCbl - H2OCbl). The always did IM. With an inactive cobalamin if there is an advantage to slowing down absorption, I've never heard of it. An IM injection of B12 is typically 100% absorbed in 30 minutes. Then the serum half life is 20-50 minutes, slowing down to 4.9 hours serum half life at 12 hours and to 12.9 hours half life from 12 to 48 hours. By 48 hours the B12 injected is 99% or more excreted, typically unchanged except when cyanide and a few other items are in the body. All this is from a collection of studies that did half life studies, usually as part of other studies. Numbers vary a little but not significantly. The 20-50 minutes range gets most of the variability seen between studies.

The subcutaneous use of MeCbl was, as far as I know, originated, or popularized, by Dr Neubrander for autism to make each injection last longer for the specifically MeCbl and/or AdoCbl deficient, find that MeCbl only lasts a short while. Symptoms can come back in 1-3 days after injection. For those of us with specific CNS cobalamin deficiencies as is characteristic of CFS, FMS, MS. Parkinson's, ALS, Supra Nuclear Palsy and others may do so because it is either difficult to get it into the CSF or is removed to quickly or both, an IM injection may last only 2 hours whereas for some a 15mg SC injection will work for 12 hours, or 10mg SC injection working for 8 hours. With my 3x 10mg per day it releases as about 1.25mg/hr, like a 1.25mg IM injection each hour. That maintains my serum level at an estimated minimum of 100,000pg/ml, which is what I need to keep my neurology from breaking down very rapidly. That is what it takes to penetrate the BBB by diffusion it would appear. This comes from Japanese studies with 50mg doses. They did not look for the minimum threshold dose.

So how you do the injection can make it more effective for some people.

Hi,

From where do you get these high dose injections?

In my country max dose available is 1.5 mg. MeCob injections.

So multiple injection a day is the only option.

Freddd

Hi,

From where do you get these high dose injections?

In my country max dose available is 1.5 mg. MeCob injections.

So multiple injection a day is the only option.

I am prescribed the type, amount and frequency. It is mixed at 20 mg/ml, There is no standard product that is easy to order. It is all custom mixed making it expensive and difficult to obtain.

I did large series of injection trials ranging from 1mg to 100mg (that was multiple injections. What I found was that maximum body effectiveness was reached between 1mg SC and about 3mg SC. Then at 6 mg SC injection no additional response. At 7.5mg there was a sudden onset of CNS B12 deficiency symptoms response. If you don't get that second set of effects at about 7.5mg SC there is no point or reason to use it. It is expensive. I don't like giving myself all those shots. Yuck. There was no additional effectiveness at anything beyond 7.5mg. If I take 7.5 I need 4x per day. At 3x I need 10mg/injection. I know some who can do great on 2x15mg. That is a matter of serum halflife and diffusion from injection site speeds. Good luck

Last edited: