• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seeking psychologist/therapist with experience helping ME/CFS patients

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask for a recommendation:

I've been living with ME/CFS for almost 3 years now, and believe I have been very effective in managing the "physiological" challenges of my illness, and now I'm looking to address the "psychological" challenges of my illness. I am searching for a psychologist or therapist in the Fairfield County, CT or New York Metro area who has experience helping patients specifically who are dealing with ME/CFS. I am a fan of Fred Friedberg's work, and I am looking for someone along those lines. Please feel free to send me a message if you have any advice.

Thank you, and best wishes in your improvement!

wigglethemouse

I've heard of two people who liked Optimum Health in the UK - one in the UK and one in the US, as they do Skype based services for ME/CFS. Convenient for house bound folks.
https://www.theoptimumhealthclinic.com/

There are also threads on here where people are skeptical of their work. They will send out a free packet of information and offer a free 15min chat so you can make up your own mind.

*GG*

"We at the Massachusetts ME/CFS & FM Association understand just how difficult this situation can be. We offer several types of support services.

We can:

• Assist with patient referrals to healthcare providers
  • Give guidance on disability process and issues—please see the Disability Handbook available on our website
  • Provide information about active support groups or other sources of supportContact Us form or call our Information Line"
https://www.massmecfs.org/services

GG