• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE OF THE POSSIBLE DANGERS POSED BY ROOT CANAL-TREATED TEETH

serg1942

This might seem off-topic, but I think that chronically ill people, especially those with ME/CFS should think twice before having a root canal done. I have done this work in order to show some good evidence to my dentist (and also to gather some needed courage to have a tooth extracted). I really hope this is also helpful to you.

SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE OF THE POSSIBLE DANGERS POSED BY ROOT CANAL-TREATED TEETH: Sergio Ballesteros. November the 22nd 2020

Below is a compilation of scientific literature showing the dangers that root canal-treated teeth can pose to health. Many of the studies reviewed in this document are cited and discussed in the book from 2014: "The Toxic Tooth: How a root canal could be making you sick". However, I have added new and updated studies, trying to include meta-analysis or systematic reviews (e.g. highest degree of evidence) whenever possible.

In order to understand the threat that root canal-treated teeth may pose to many people's health, I have tried to support with scientific literature the following points: 1. Infections are found in most root canal-treated teeth and treated root canals get more infected than non-treated teath; 2. Bacteria can enter and reside inside the filled root canals; 3. These infections are not always evident by clinical symtoms, and X-rays might fail to identify these infections; 4. Almost half of the root canal-treated teeth are not properly done; 5. Infected root canals cause apical periodontitis. 6. The same bacteria-causing periodontitis and associated with systemic diseases, are found in root canals 7. Oral infections (which can come from a root canal-treated tooth) have been associated with a myriad of diseases, including cardiovascular conditions such as atherosclerosis, strokes or acute myocardial infarction, autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes melitus and inflammatory bowel disease, metabolic syndrome, numerous cancers, adverse pregnancy outcomes, pulmonary infections, and many other conditions.

The mechanisms underlying the link between oral infections and systemic disease are also reviewed, highlighting the role of bacteria and endotoxins.

https://www.sfc-em-investigacion.com/download/file.php?id=1339

I hope this information is useful,
Sergio

serg1942

Well, a study I read found that "cone beam" 3D CT scans can actually pick almost a 90% of the infected root canals (as opossed to normal 2D x rays whose sensitivity is lower).

I guess that you could try to get a CT scan of your mouth done, in order to discard infections in the root canals (yes, most root canals are infected, and the infection doesn't always need to be noticeable in order to be problematic, but still, it is better than nothing...).

Just and idea... Take care!

Wishful

I have root canals, and had problems with other ones (recurring infections) and had the bad ones removed. None of that had any effect on my ME symptoms. So, while root canal infections can cause problems, and probably can cause worse problems for PWME, it's not guaranteed that imperfect root canals will cause problems.

serg1942

No, of course not, but bacteria from periodontitis have been strongly associated to autoimmune and inflammatory disease, and both processee are known to coexist in ME/CFS...Also, LPS from periodontitis have been linked to many of these systemic diseases, and we know we have LPS-induced inflammation in ME/CFS, so, yeah, I think it is wise to at least know the possible risks...