• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Schizophrenia is Associated With an Aberrant Immune Response to Epstein–Barr Virus

Jackb23

Results
Individuals with schizophrenia had marked elevations in the levels of antibodies to EBV virions as compared to the control population. Further analyses indicated increased levels of reactivity to EBV-viral capsid antibody (VCA) but not to EBV nuclear antigen-1 (EBNA-1) or to other human herpesviruses. Western blot analysis confirmed increased reactivity to VCA proteins in the group of individuals with schizophrenia and documented a lack of increased levels of antibodies to EBNA-1. Genetic analyses indicated an additive effect of increased levels of antibodies to EBV virions and genetic susceptibility to schizophrenia, with individuals with elevated levels of both type of markers having a greater than 8.5-fold odds of a schizophrenia diagnosis.

https://academic.oup.com/schizophre...schbul/sby164/5193713?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Archie

That interesting, EBV seems to connected to so many health issues, even schizophrenia.

Wolfcub

It would be good if a true physical cause could be pinned down for schizophrenia....and the hope of a cure?
I have probably missed something, but have anti-virals been tried for those cases?

Archie

No problem Wolfcub, i suspect persons with Schizophrenia have their body chemistry just so wrong. Some people who have taken too much drugs can go Schizophrenic also, so maybe when the body bio-chemical balance is just totally off balance/corrupted people can start have all kinds of weird symtoms like in Schizophrenia, and that EBV stirring the pot on background ?