• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Run down thick phlegm

wonderoushope

Lately I’ve had small bouts of having this really run down feeling, what feels like a bit like the flu but not quite. One thing I get is thick hard phlegm mucus in my throat and a slight sore throat just like you would have in a bad cold. It last for a few days and then disappears and reappears a week later.

Does anyone else get thick phlegm in their throat from time to time?

This seems to happen when my body has been stressed by something. Could be trying new medications, alcohol, reacting to a food intolerance etc

Stress seems to activate flu type symptoms.

Last edited:

Wolfcub

When I first started feeling unwell back last March I sometimes woke up with a really phlegmy throat, though it wasn't sore, and I also had a feeling I had caught flu. The "caught flu" general malaise never fully went away though, and every time I get a relapse, I get traces of the same feeling.

I started though, to feel a lot better from that. But, when I went for a CT scan in November, the flu-like sensations returned for four days then went away completely, and I was back to the same base line that I was at before (okay a lot of the time, with a relapse now and again)

There was a lot of stress re: the appointment (driving in an unknown place, severe rain to find my way through, early start, little sleep the night before, plus the worry about would they use iodine dye? How would I react to it? And what they would find.)
Also the radiation dose. I think it was possibly the combined kick-back from both the radiation and the stress, which caused a feeling like flu had returned.

But yes, I sometimes did wake up with horrible post-nasal drip and choked up throat. Sometimes later in the day too, and a chest tightness sometimes.

Though I was craving protein and like eggs, I figured out that if I bought a pack of 6 eggs, I was fine with the first 2, but a few days later when I had the second two, and the third two -that's when the phlegm would start. I was suspicious that it was a sensitivity to eggs.
I still eat them now, and don't seem to get that problem any more (fingers crossed) But that mght be worth thinking about.