• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Royal Colleges instruct GPs to use GET with ME patients July 2019

Countrygirl

This needs to be seriously challenged and retracted before the UK medical profession inflict even more harm on the ME population.

Dr David Tuller has been sent a copy.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1755738019852393?journalCode=inoa

1563947785657.png

Countrygirl

This is the corresponding author:

He is Austrialian! @taniaaust1 ! We need you to do something about him as he is one of yours! :) Have a little word will you, please. He is gone completely off course and needs reining in and educating. Retract!

https://research.bond.edu.au/en/persons/paul-glasziou

Paul Glasziou
Prof
https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7564-073X
  • Bond University, Faculty of Health Sciences and Medicine
    4229 Gold Coast
    Australia
Accepting PhD Students

anni66

mum to ME daughter
Who are the HANDI group, what are their interests ?
Timing of this piece is interesting.
As is the piece on " social media activists" which references 3 Kate Kelland articles.

There is much at stake if people look deeper at the efficacy and harms of GET and CBT - the whole UK ( and wider?) IAPT programme and MUS depend upon a shaky evidence base being allowed to stand.
Not to mention reputations and careers.

Countrygirl

Who are the HANDI group, what are their interests ?
Timing of this piece is interesting.
As is the piece on " social media activists" which references 3 Kate Kelland articles.

There is much at stake if people look deeper at the efficacy and harms of GET and CBT - the whole UK ( and wider?) IAPT programme and MUS depend upon a shaky evidence base being allowed to stand.
Not to mention reputations and careers.

Here is the 'social media activists' article you reference, @anni66

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...IwAkGh04zFnOACZB_dlNqdx2exHfE#comment-1132514

The comments are especially interesting. One doctor there refers to us as 'the worst in society' :eek: :D :p.............I think this was too much even for the editor as I couldn't find it when I searched again ......... while apparently, he diagnoses ME patients with cluster B personality disorders.

I particularly like Prof Jo Edwards' contribution and he turns the tables on our lovable doctor who is handing out the insults.

Social media is a dysfunctional Tavistock group

Submitted by James OBrien MD on July 23, 2019 - 12:01pm < said lovable bunny :D >

The leaders........ (us :thumbsup: ) ...........are leaders based on being loud, defamatory and persistent, not knowledgable or analytical..................... ( definitely us :sluggish::rolleyes::lol:...............oh, and I forgot the 50 or so scientists that Dr DT rounds up :D )

It can be no other way with social media.

Social media gave the worst of society............................ ( us, definitely us.....................recognise the description anywhere............:whistle::angel::hug:) ..........a big megaphone, and they like to use it........ ( :rocket: we certainly do Dr O.Brien !! :fire::thumbsup: :lol: )

To WHICH PROF JO EDWARDS REPLIED:

Social media is a dysfunctional Tavistock group

Submitted by Jonathan Edwards on July 23, 2019 - 12:47pm

Were you referring to the extraordinarily persistent tweeting by Michael Sharpe denigrating both colleagues and patients en masse there? :rofl: :rofl::trophy:

Does Michael Sharpe not feel embarrassed by all this? It is making him look ridiculous.

Binkie4

The ME Patient Foundation responded to the article in Psychology Today as follows

The ME Patient Foundation
22 hrs
MEPF Response to Psychology Today Article
The Dark Side of Social Media Activism in Science, Scientists are targeted when results do not align with activist views - Stephen Camarata
The ME Patient Foundation would like to correct the many errors and assumptions made in this piece.
It is unfortunate that Stephen Camarata has been hoodwinked into thinking social media activism with regards to ME/CFS research is the dark side of activism in science. Patients and scientists have merely been highlighting the poor quality of Professor Sharpe’s work and understandably he doesn’t like it very much.
Patients are not ideologically against psychological support; chronic illness has a devastating effect on the lives of sufferers and supportive psychological interventions that help patients come to terms with those difficulties can be beneficial if used appropriately. However, the model of CBT used in treating ME/CFS is coercive, designed to change the patients’ ‘false illness beliefs’ which underpins the biopsychosocial illness model Sharpe uses (ironically this exemplifies their beliefs since there is no evidence to support this model) see Geraghty et al 2019 . This is not supportive or helpful as it questions the patient’s reality and encourages them to be more active than they are able, often resulting in serious damage to their health. Moreover, it disregards the overwhelming evidence of biological abnormalities in ME patients, a disease classified by the World Health Organisation as neurological disease and not a psychological condition as believed by Sharpe and his followers, that would explain why this is harmful (see reporting of patient harms and research from the Workwell Foundation).
Social media is used by patients and the scientists supporting them because many patients are unable to leave their houses and live isolated lives, it is often the only way they can effectively communicate. We understand why Professor Sharpe dislikes such communication exposing flaws in his research, but this does not address the power imbalance. Professor Sharpe utilises the print media via friends at the Science Media Centre and publishes in various journals. He is healthy and occupies a privileged and powerful position as a professor at Oxford University, while the patients he frequently criticises can only avail themselves of social media to make their voices heard. Meaningful patient involvement during the research process would prevent such a situation occurring.
If Professor Sharpe is serious about using the scientific method to resolve the issues then he should support the release of all PACE trial data, something we consider a basic requirement given the trial was publicly funded. Instead, very ill patients like Alem Matthees are made worse (now bedridden and unable to communicate with the outside world at all) by being forced to obtain such data via Freedom of Information requests. Mathees successful request led to reanalysis of the PACE trial using the authors’ original protocol and concluded:
‘These findings raise serious concerns about the robustness of the claims made about the efficacy of CBT and GET. The modest treatment effect obtained on self-report measures in the PACE trial do not exceed what could be reasonably accounted for by participant reporting biases.’ Wiltshire et al.
If Sharpe respected patients he and his co-authors would have withdrawn their paper after its multiple flaws were exposed rather than inflicting this burden on them and would have adhered to the Declaration of Helsinki and notified PACE trial participants of their conflicts of interest. The real dark side seems to be a lack of respect for patients’ rights and lived experience, especially given many of these patients are themselves scientists and medics. We are living in a time when many scientists and medical researchers are keen to engage patients following the patient and public involvement (PPI) in research model, it is unfortunate that professor Sharpe and his acolytes like Stephen Camarata, trapped in the historical paternalistic paradigm, are incapable of doing so, instead choosing to traduce the patients they should be helping.
For more information on the PACE trial flaws please see our website.

taniaaust1

This is the corresponding author:

He is Austrialian! @taniaaust1 ! We need you to do something about him as he is one of yours! :) Have a little word will you, please. He is gone completely off course and needs reining in and educating. Retract!

https://research.bond.edu.au/en/persons/paul-glasziou

Paul Glasziou
Prof
https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7564-073X

• Bond University, Faculty of Health Sciences and Medicine
    4229 Gold Coast
    Australia
Accepting PhD Students

We've always had ones just like Wessely over here in Australia and even ones who have done ME/CFS studies with him. They even at times have got their crap into our ME/CFS societis mags.. this is why I boycotted the interstate societies mag years ago and was so glad when the SA society got ours back.

Last edited by a moderator: