• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Root Cause Documentary

Celandine

Just wondering if anyone's watched the Netflix doc Root Cause? The basic gist is that root canals--pretty much all root canals--create a situation where the dead tooth acts as a harbour for all kinds of horrendous bacteria and pathogens and can cause chronic pain, fatigue, cardiac problems etc. A lot of stuff about how the teeth and mouth relate to the rest of the body. The doc is pretty heavy on pseudoscience, but the main point is something worth thinking about if it could possibly be relevant to you. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts after watching.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Yes - I would've preferred if he at least once clarified if he did or did not have 'chronic fatigue syndrome', but just kept using the term 'chronic fatigue', so who knows what that means.

Beyond that, the topic was compelling. I'm thankful I've never had a root canal.

Celandine

Yeah. I'm not sure he knew the difference himself, to be honest. I think the whole thing was fairly sloppily done, but still provided some food for thought.

Wolfcub

I watched this last night. I wasn't keen on the style of the documentary but it did make me think about possible connections between "dead" teeth and systemic infection.

I have a root canal on one tooth (done in 1980s) and crowns on 3 others. Not sure if root canals were involved in those crowns or not. Since I had them done though I was perfectly fit and healthy until 10 months ago. Don't know if there's a connection or not in my case.

The sheer cost of getting 3 crowns and one root canal replaced with zirconia implants....well.....
Even bridgework on one tooth would cost hundreds. I was quoted £2500 for a single implant locally for a tooth that doesn't bother me but has resorption. And that was a Titanium one. I changed my mind and left the tooth alone where it is still giving no trouble.
It would be worth it for sure if the cause of chronic illness was definitely proven to be linked. But on an assumption, that would be too much -for me at least.

I also cannot begin to imagine asking for that CT-like scan at my own dentist. They don't have such a thing.

jesse's mom

colloidal silver
I wish I had known about colloidal silver before I had periodontal disease. When I put it on the gum of the last infected gum I have all inflammation in that area goes away. I do not swallow it, it seems to be absorbed in the tissue of my mouth. It seems counterproductive to me building my gut flora, then killing it by swallowing silver

Archie

I wish I had known about colloidal silver before I had periodontal disease. When I put it on the gum of the last infected gum I have all inflammation in that area goes away. I do not swallow it, it seems to be absorbed in the tissue of my mouth. It seems counterproductive to me building my gut flora, then killing it by swallowing silver

Yeeh it do all good things , also tryed same thing on ionic copper liquid , some pathogens really dislike copper in contact , swallowed it also as it was copper supplement .

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Just wondering if anyone's watched the Netflix doc Root Cause? The basic gist is that root canals--pretty much all root canals--create a situation where the dead tooth acts as a harbour for all kinds of horrendous bacteria and pathogens and can cause chronic pain, fatigue, cardiac problems etc. A lot of stuff about how the teeth and mouth relate to the rest of the body. The doc is pretty heavy on pseudoscience, but the main point is something worth thinking about if it could possibly be relevant to you. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts after watching.

Modern dentistry says the old theory that root canals are a source of infection is major quackery.

Myth #3: Root canals cause illness.
It’s hard to miss this myth if you are searching for information on root canals online. This myth is based on poorly designed and long-since debunked research that took place almost an entire century ago! In the 1920s, Dr. Weston A. Price was responsible for disseminating the results of this study and using them to promote extractions (the permanent removal of a tooth) — one of the most traumatic treatments available. There is no valid scientific evidence supporting Dr. Price’s research to date. Not only are root canals safe and effective, they eliminate bacteria from the infected roots of teeth, improving both your oral health and your overall health.
https://familytreedentist.com/5-myths-root-canals-debunked/

I had many and didn't have any problems except when my immunity was impaired, then I had six infections from previously treated root canalled teeth that ended up having to be extracted and replaced with implants. Interestingly, none of them could be saved when in the past I had several re-treatments that were successful. After I restored the immunity problem I stopped losing teeth.

Back in the 1990s I had a holistic dentist remove my fillings to treat depression. It had no effect and the back composite fillings didn't last. He did a root canal with an alternative material Calcium Hydroxide that ended up getting reinfected. It was so hard to remove an endodontist had to grab my jaw painfully to dig it out. I avoid these dentists now.

Interesting documentary. Had my wisdom tooth extracted 3 months ago. It was close to a nerve.
Had that conebeam scan done before the extraction.
After 3 months there is still a lumb on my gum. No pain at all.
Nice to learn that another 3d conebeam scan can detect cavitation.
If my health is getting worse maybe i go do that.

Modern dentistry says the old theory that root canals are a source of infection is major quackery.

Myth #3: Root canals cause illness.
It’s hard to miss this myth if you are searching for information on root canals online. This myth is based on poorly designed and long-since debunked research that took place almost an entire century ago! In the 1920s, Dr. Weston A. Price was responsible for disseminating the results of this study and using them to promote extractions (the permanent removal of a tooth) — one of the most traumatic treatments available. There is no valid scientific evidence supporting Dr. Price’s research to date. Not only are root canals safe and effective, they eliminate bacteria from the infected roots of teeth, improving both your oral health and your overall health.
https://familytreedentist.com/5-myths-root-canals-debunked/

I had many and didn't have any problems except when my immunity was impaired, then I had six infections from previously treated root canalled teeth that ended up having to be extracted and replaced with implants. Interestingly, none of them could be saved when in the past I had several re-treatments that were successful. After I restored the immunity problem I stopped losing teeth.

Back in the 1990s I had a holistic dentist remove my fillings to treat depression. It had no effect and the back composite fillings didn't last. He did a root canal with an alternative material Calcium Hydroxide that ended up getting reinfected. It was so hard to remove an endodontist had to grab my jaw painfully to dig it out. I avoid these dentists now.

Modern Dentistry don't want to ruin their business model, of course they say is quackery! If you research more you will find out that the ADA are imposing a quota/target for them dentists on Root Canals, something like 30 millions per year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guwop2

Myth #3: Root canals cause illness.​
It’s hard to miss this myth if you are searching for information on root canals online. This myth is based on poorly designed and long-since debunked research that took place almost an entire century ago! In the 1920s, Dr. Weston A. Price was responsible for disseminating the results of this study and using them to promote extractions (the permanent removal of a tooth) — one of the most traumatic treatments available. There is no valid scientific evidence supporting Dr. Price’s research to date. Not only are root canals safe and effective, they eliminate bacteria from the infected roots of teeth, improving both your oral health and your overall health.​

Can I ask what implants you have had done that were safe (i.e. what material/dental process)? Im currently in the process of getting a crown put on a root cannal'd tooth - ive had the the old filling a removed and a temporary one put in, just waiting for the crown to arrive. However, ive read that crowns use metal supports at the base, reagrdless of whether you get a porcelein crown or not, so am thinking ill just have the whole thing removed and an implant put in. Just want to know which implant I should get that wont poisen me.

hapl808

Hi @Rufous McKinney -- May I suggest... replace "pseudoscience" with "common sense"? :angel:

If common sense worked, none of us would be here.

"So you're telling me you have an illness with physical and mental symptoms, but sleep and exercise don't help you? Where even talking on the phone or a stroll around the block could 'crash' you, but no definitive observable biomarkers?"

Yeah, common sense is gonna dismiss that as implausible. And yet, here we are.

Wayne

"So you're telling me you have an illness with physical and mental symptoms, but sleep and exercise don't help you? Where even talking on the phone or a stroll around the block could 'crash' you, but no definitive observable biomarkers?"

@hapl808 -- I thought we were talking about root canals and those who say there's nothing to be concerned about--since they're all (mostly) 100% safe. Sorry if I didn't track this discussion closely enough.