• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ron Davis Talk: Quest for an ME/CFS Diagnostic Test, Columbia Univ, Nov 21, 2019 Livestream

Gemini

Ron Davis Talk at Columbia Univ  Nov 21 2019.JPG

jstefl

I watched the talk which is pretty much of a rehash of what he has previously presented. What I came away with is this is a much more difficult problem than what he thought it was a couple of years ago. At one time he was hoping for a quick resolution, but now it seems that the more they learn, the more difficult to understand the disease is.

He mentioned again that they looked for a viral cause and haven't found one yet.

He talked about potential treatments and mentioned that if they can't find an approved drug that works it will take 20 years and a billion dollars to get one.

My take away from the talk is that a cure, or at least a treatment for this illness is farther away than I was hoping for. I will keep hoping for the best and expecting little.

ljimbo423

@ljimbo423 and interesting that Ron linked the cause of the RBC deformability to something in the plasma in this talk.

Listening to Ron I got the very clear impression that he thinks that whatever is causing the mito. dysfunction is in the plasma. Which I think would make a good starting point for looking for whatever that is and trace that back to it's origin.

Gemini

He mentioned again that they looked for a viral cause and haven't found one yet.
@jstefl I think the key word here is "yet," meaning he's still searching-- and most encouraging-- is about ready to start on the RNA viruses which include enteroviruses long thought to be associated with ME/CFS.

I thought he alluded to a new technology and wondered if he meant VirScan developed at Harvard and recently used by UC San Francisco researchers in an AFM study? Discussed on this thread:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...s-enterovirus-study.78166/page-2#post-2240308

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49) @Hip

Last edited:

Gemini

I listened to the whole thing and found it an excellent talk and update from Dr. Davis.
Agree @Sing it was an excellent talk. :thumbsup:

Almost 200 people participated on the livestream according to the count at the bottom of the screen, interestingly worldwide from the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Finland, and other countries.

During the introduction it was mentioned Ron had just spoken at Princeton University. He's doing an outstanding job of educating and raising awareness.

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Sing

Listening to Ron I got the very clear impression that he thinks that whatever is causing the mito. dysfunction is in the plasma. Which I think would make a good starting point for looking for whatever that is and trace that back to it's origin.

Yes, he said that this would be a job for the biochemists.

This was to me the most important takeaway from the talk. The cell impedance graphs were impressive and so was the effect of SS-31 - hopefully that can be implemented/trialed soon and it's mechanism of action with respect to ME/CFS patients understood. The fabrication of new nano-needle measuring chips soon is exciting.

Even though this talk essentially revolved around the increasing complexity of this illness, it is nevertheless further understanding which is always good. the nail capillaries were interesting too as it is the first "visible" thing I've seen in this illness which is so poorly understood.

Ron is one hell of a man and hearing him speak is always a pleasure. A true mediator of the scientific process.

jstefl

He talked about the IDO2 trap and showed some charts on how it works, but it wasn't anything that he didn't talk about before.

He laid out his goals and step one was to find a biomarker. He placed this as a need before finding a treatment which makes sense to me as it gives you a way of measuring the effectiveness of any treatment. I am sure that most of us have tried many things without knowing if they are working and just need more time, or if they will never help. We are still on step one of his plan.