• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Role of melatonin on Virus-Induced Neuropathogenesis

Violeta

The title of the article mentions SARS-CoV-2, but the body mentions that it would be good for other viruses, too.

Oops, this post might be in the wrong place. Should I just delete it?

I haven't had COVID, but after reading about possible virus activity in the brain being related to chronic fatigue, I started taking melatonin. The sleepiness does last into the daytime for me, but fortunately I don't have to worry about that right now as I quit my job.

"Melatonin has been shown to have antiviral properties against several viral infections which are accompanied by neurological symptoms. The beneficial properties of melatonin relate to its properties as a potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and immunoregulatory molecule and its neuroprotective effects. In this review, what is known about the therapeutic role of melatonin in virus-induced neuropathogenesis is summarized and discussed."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC7823793/#B82-antioxidants-10-00047

BrightCandle

For me at least the day time sleepiness passed after about a month of use. Takes a while to properly fall a sleep and stay a sleep while taking it and also waking up more normally in my experience.

Violeta

For me at least the day time sleepiness passed after about a month of use. Takes a while to properly fall a sleep and stay a sleep while taking it and also waking up more normally in my experience.

Good to know. I had tried it about a year ago but gave up. I'm willing to go through the discomfort after reading this article that I linked.

Have you seen improvement with any symptoms?

BrightCandle

Good to know. I had tried it about a year ago but gave up. I'm willing to go through the discomfort after reading this article that I linked.

Have you seen improvement with any symptoms?

It allows me to sleep when I should, it stabalised my sleep cycle. Don't think it did anything else, it doesn't stop me having bad nights of sleep, it just ensures I get to sleep at a reasonable hour enforcing a reasonable rhythm.