• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Role of antioxidant system in CFS infection

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Some evidence that a failure in the antioxidant system could contribute to CFS. This is an educated look at some of the conditions that could be precursors to CFS. Could have some import on the discussion re sudden or gradual onset. I don't have the cred to analyse. Someone else might be able to. Cheers Rusty.

http://heirsresearch.blogspot.com/

Inflammation, Insulin Resistance and Decreased PPARs-- A Pathway to CFS?
I thought today I would review some points that I have made over the last several months about environmental illness specifically chronic fatigue syndrome. I do this today, because of recent research news that supports some of what I have been saying all along and that is that CFS is probably the result of stresses that alter cellular functioning and disrupt cellular metabolism. This is not a new thing but believe that many researchers have failed to notice that many of the symptoms may be caused by alterations in glucose metabolism and insulin activity and include some influences like what occur in
sickness syndrome even though CFS and sickness syndrome are not the same thing. Sickness syndrome is a variety of changes that occur in the body as a response to sickness and provides a mechanism to fight whatever is causing the sickness. Personally, I can recognize it more in animals because humans have been taught that we "must" overcome --- and that goes for being ill too that usually leads to more sickness.

Michael Maes has probably been the leader in the idea of sickness syndrome in relation to CFS. In his last report, he definitely makes the distinction and I have to agree with him. CFS is not sickness syndrome and is more due to inflammation and oxidative and nitrosative stress but here, I must point out that ending up at this conclusion is much too simple because it does not really explain how one "gets there"! In my view, it all comes down to labels and this always has been my issue..... IN this case, how can we understand where one illness like CFS starts and another one ends such as sickness syndrome if noone really has defined the former CFS well in the first place? It is my belief that sickness syndrome may be a prelude to CFS or maybe the beginning point of it, and different factors can inhibit or lead to a "full-blown" case of CFS and recognizing the biological factors that play a part may in fact, help to prevent CFS in its most severe form. As far as oxidative and nitrosative stress in CFS, I think if you just leave it at..then it is doing a disservice not only to the condition but to those who suffer from it. The reason I say this is because of the nature of oxidative/nitrosative stress --- it is a natural result of cellular processes. Just saying that CFS is caused from too much of these stresses does nothing to answer what is causing the overwhelming oxidative stress in the first place in CFS. Maes has implied that endotoxin may be a pathway to CFS and bacterial infection has potential for causing oxidative stress and changing environments that lead to methylation. But other environmental factors such as hyperglycemia and high-fat diets also promote bacterial translocation and consequently activate certain immune responses that may lead to CFS also, can not be dismissed. I have suggested that the failure of the antioxidant system to adequately meet the needs of oxidative stress or maybe even at all to any real level may play a very important role. In other blogs, we have noted that oxidative and nitrosative stress is needed to activate this system and nutritional and genetic factors may influence the speed and level of activation. So if we have overwhelming oxidative stress -- it makes sense that something like underactivation of the antioxidant system may be at fault or is just not working. So in essence, it should be a no-brainer to look at the Nrf2-Keap1 and other proteins it controls to get a better handle on what may be causing the failure of an adaptive immune response and elevations in inflammatory markers and oxidative stress that are obviously maladaptive.

Several new studies some evidence that a failure in the antioxidant system could contribute to CFS. It is not a direct road I admit, but considering I have been following these paths for 3 years now. They make sense to me, mainly because I look for the CFS from a more holistic and systems theory perspective. For someone that has been trained both in anthropology and biology, this perspective works better for me when I need to find out the answers to different questions that need to be investigated. In addition, one could ask what is a direct road or pathway in reference to disease anyway....to me, it is all relative and most always depends on personal interpretation. Several months ago, I blogged that environmental pollutants may contribute to diabetes and insulin resistance. Since then several other reports conclude this may be the case and many studies have provided evidence how inflammation can lead to insulin resistance and diabetes through the down-regulation of genes and up-regulation of inflammatory cytokines. Several inflammatory markers, not just one, can contribute and can be produced as a consequence of the stress response including TNF-a, Il-1, Il-6. Some of these activate other responses that lead to neuroinflammation and also alteration of neurotransmitters and have other effects on brain chemistry which could be characteristic of the cognitive dysfunction associated with CFS.

It has been suspected that pollutants lead to the alteration of a class of class of genes. I refer to them most often as PARRs and may include PPAR-gamma, PARR-delta and PARR-alpha. I have discussed both PPAR-gamma and PPAR-alpha at length in different discussions and most notably, PPAR-gamma is an important anti-inflammatory which helps prevent the development of insulin resistance in addition to other functions and may help repress autoimmunity. (Klotz) Recently, a study of the combination of pioglitizone and caffeic acid, demonstrated significant improvement in a mouse model of chronic fatigue. In this study, the results showed improvements in running wheel activity, locomotor activity and anxiety. Other improvements included reductions in oxidative damage including lipid peroxidation and nitrite concentration and increased glutatione and catalase levels in addition to altering mitochondrial function. When one digs a little deeper, interesting things appear related to the actions of these compounds. Caffeic acid is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that while having potential hazard qualities, also demonstrates the ability to " suppress MMP-9 enzyme activity and down-regulate NF-κB and other studies provide in vitro evidence it may effect DNA methylation. (Wipedia)" More importantly, pioglitizone is an anti-hyperglycemic medication and "stimulates the nuclear receptor peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPAR-γ) and to a lesser extent PPAR-α. It modulates the transcription of the insulin-sensitive genes involved in the control of glucose and lipid metabolism in the muscle, adipose tissue, and the liver." What this says to me is that CFS is a condition that is a consequence of significantly disrupted normal glucose uptake and energy metabolism in different tissues.

I have also postulated that the aryl hydrocarbon may play an important role in both CFS and MCS and there are several "conditions" that lead me to make this assumption and the hypothesis but unfortunately, how this interaction occurs is quite "muddy". First, it has been demonstrated that there is a close connection in the actions of the AhR and the Nrf2 in response to environmental pollutants and their "gene batteries". Second, I have suggested that abnormal signalling from the AhR may influence the functioning of several proteins including the Nrf2 even though the specific mechanismin of how this is achieved is not entirely understood. Third, dioxin which persists in the environment, albeit at lower levels in the last decade in many locales but still present in food, has been associated with diabetes and activates the AhR. Four, for some time it has been believed the AhR may inhibit PPAR-gamma and therefore leads us to environmental conditions, at least physiologically, of elevated inflammation and an increased risk for diabetes. (Remillard) Arguably, the role of the AhR on PPAR-gamma depends on the tissue. (Kitchner, Shin) However, dioxins are bioaccumulative and activation of the AhR and its effects on PPAR-gamma may spill over to surrounding tissues. Lastly, a new study has shown that Nrf2 drives PPAR-gamma in protecting against oxidant injury at least in the respiratory system. Taking all this into account, it is safe to at least suggest that CFS may be influenced by fluctuations in PPAR-gamma and the proteins that regulate it and factors that upregulate it may be beneficial or preventative against CFS. Because PPAR-gamma demonstrates inhibitory properties on autoimmune responses, its absence may play significantly in the "loss of tolerance" responses of chemical sensitivity and inflammatory bowel disease. Other studies show PPAR-gamma has as an important regulatory function with HO-1 and may be neuroprotective against Parkinson's (Lui, Schintu) and influences mitochondrial biogenesis through PGC-1a (Miglio). In other blogs, I discuss how certain nutritional compounds such as resveratrol and EGCG in different foods have shown some benefit and their modes of actions address some of the issues that are discussed in the paragraphs above. IN addition, because these proteins can be effected by methylation this explains the inheritabilty factor that exists with CFS that is not explained just by the presence of oxidative stress.

Notes:
Endotoxin is considered potential pathway to CFS and inhibits PPAR-gamma through Tnf-a (Zhou)
It as been suggested that XMRV may play a role in CFS - I would suggest that while XMRV may be a piggy-back condition, any pathogen or infection or pollutant that inhibits PPARs and increase inflammatory mediators contribute to CFS.
Related Tags: Nrf2 , PPAR-gamma , PGC-1a,

Cho, H.-Y. Y., Gladwell, W., Wang, X., Chorley, B., Bell, D., Reddy, S. P., and Kleeberger, S. R. (2010). Nrf2-regulated ppargamma expression is critical to protection against acute lung injury in mice. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine, 182(2):170-182. http://www.citeulike.org/user/HEIRS/article/6854883?show_msg=already_posted

Kumar, A., Vashist, A., and Kumar, P. (2010). Potential role of pioglitazone, caffeic acid and their combination against fatigue syndrome-induced behavioural, biochemical and mitochondrial alterations in mice. Inflammopharmacology. http://www.citeulike.org/user/HEIRS/article/7474822

Yang, J.-Y. Y., Della-Fera, M. A. A., Rayalam, S., Ambati, S., Hartzell, D. L., Park, H. J. J., and Baile, C. A. (2008). Enhanced inhibition of adipogenesis and induction of apoptosis in 3t3-l1 adipocytes with combinations of resveratrol and quercetin. Life sciences, 82(19-20):1032-1039. http://www.citeulike.org/user/HEIRS/article/7537205

Pioglitazone. Wipedia. Retrieved on July 24, 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioglitazone

Caffeic Acid. Wipedia. Retrieved on July 24, 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeic_Acid

Zhou, M., Wu, R., Dong, W., Jacob, A., and Wang, P. (2008). Endotoxin downregulates peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma via the increase in tnf-alpha release. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol, 294(1):R84-92. http://www.citeulike.org/user/HEIRS/article/2439726

Remillard, R. B. and Bunce, N. J. (2002). Linking dioxins to diabetes: epidemiology and biologic plausibility. Environmental health perspectives, 110(9):853-858. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12204817

Kintscher, U. and Law, R. E. (2005). Ppargamma-mediated insulin sensitization: the importance of fat versus muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 288(2):E287-291. http://www.citeulike.org/user/HEIRS/article/3824606

Shin, S., Wakabayashi, N., Misra, V., Biswal, S., Lee, G. H., Agoston, E. S., Yamamoto, M., and Kensler, T. W. (2007). Nrf2 modulates aryl hydrocarbon receptor signaling: Influence on adipogenesis. Mol. Cell. Biol., 27(20):7188-7197. http://www.citeulike.org/user/HEIRS/article/3787182

Klotz, L., Burgdorf, S., Dani, I., Saijo, K., Flossdorf, J., Hucke, S., Alferink, J., Novak, N., Beyer, M., Mayer, G., Langhans, B., Klockgether, T., Waisman, A., Eberl, G., Schultze, J., Famulok, M., Kolanus, W., Glass, C., Kurts, C., and Knolle, P. A. (2009). The nuclear receptor ppargamma selectively inhibits th17 differentiation in a t cell-intrinsic fashion and suppresses cns autoimmunity. J. Exp. Med., 206(10):2079-2089. http://www.citeulike.org/user/HEIRS/article/5778777

Liu, S. H. H., Yang, C. N. N., Pan, H. C. C., Sung, Y. J. J., Liao, K. K. K., Chen, W. B. B., Lin, W. Z. Z., and Sheu, M. L. L. (2010). Il-13 downregulates ppar-gamma/heme oxygenase-1 via er stress-stimulated calpain activation: aggravation of activated microglia death. Cellular and molecular life sciences : CMLS. http://www.citeulike.org/user/HEIRS/article/6826740

Schintu, N., Frau, L., Ibba, M., Caboni, P., Garau, A., Carboni, E., and Carta, A. R. (2009). Ppar-gamma-mediated neuroprotection in a chronic mouse model of parkinson's disease. The European journal of neuroscience, 29(5):954-963. http://www.citeulike.org/user/HEIRS/article/4136907

Miglio, G., Rosa, A. C., Rattazzi, L., Collino, M., Lombardi, G., and Fantozzi, R. (2009). Ppargamma stimulation promotes mitochondrial biogenesis and prevents glucose deprivation-induced neuronal cell loss. Neurochemistry international, 55(7):496-504. http://www.citeulike.org/user/HEIRS/article/5345204

alex3619

Hi Rusty,

I haven't the mental capacity to read this properly at the moment, but I can say that I have looked at PPARs in the past (around 2000) and it didn't look like there was any clear causality in the literature at that time. I don't doubt that alterations in PPAR chemistry occur with CFS, but it is more likely be a consequence than a cause. That doesn't mean we shouldn't treat it however. These chemicals are closely linked to changes in diet - eat more healthy fats, avoid junk fats. In practice that means seeds and nuts you can tolerate (that don't provoke symptoms) at a dose you can tolerate, and avoid commercially fried foods. Again, I haven't read much on this in a decade, but that is how it looked back then.

Bye
Alex

RustyJ

Hi Alex. Thanks for responding. Only just noticed. I can't recall what motivated me to post this. Someone mentioned mercury the other day, but I can't remember the context. However I do wonder whether the mechanisms discussed above could be flipped around - something of a chicken and egg scenario. One doctor diagnosed me with chronic mercury poisoning, but I have read that chronic fatigue syndrome may hinder the body's ability to eliminate mercury, thus allowing it to build up in tissue. Could the same argument be extended to other toxins? Even mold toxins?

RustyJ

Ah, I remember the context. In the thread on Apobec 3G. Someone suggested that maybe the Apobec mechanism doesn't work as well in ME patients, thus allowing the virus to spread more easily. Someone else mentioned mercury as a possible cause of Apobec dysfunction. I really haven't got a clue what I am talking about. Just fishin without bait.