• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rifaximin & Neomycin

ljimbo423

I am looking at my Rifaximin pills and they are film coated. Only just googling now, but I'm assuming these shouldn't be split?

Thoughts?

Maybe I should just split one for an allergy test at the very least, which is my biggest concern. However I guess if they are film coated, something about them gets degraded in the stomach?

From Wikipedia-

In pharmaceutical drug delivery of solid oral dosage forms film coatings are frequently applied. The motivation for coating dosage forms range from cosmetic considerations (colour, gloss), improving the stability (light protection, moisture and gas barrier) and making it easier to swallow the tablet.

They can also have coatings for delayed release to protect them from stomach acid but Rifaximin isn't delayed release. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_coating

I'm actually thinking about doing another course of Rifaximin, to help speed up getting rid of dysbiosis.

From Wikipedia-

They can also have coatings for delayed release to protect them from stomach acid but Rifaximin isn't delayed release. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_coating

I'm actually thinking about doing another course of Rifaximin, to help speed up getting rid of dysbiosis.

thanks, you saved me some googling ;) and it's good to hear from a person who's been there rather than the internet anyways.

"enteric coated" is the stomach acid coating, but from the quick search I did earlier film coating in some cases may not be good to split. But that's probably more about the drug than the coating I guess.

I'll run this by my dad too just for that extra bit of guidance, he's in medicine... I remember him telling me years ago how antibiotics in the early days were just one big dose... madness :D

Did you run your titration by your Dr? As in, you said you only did 100mg a day (first day?). Did you stick to the proper spacing but just keep the doses low? Any feedback on using lower doses from Dr? Mine is terrible at replying to emails and my GP was basically not inclined to comment one way or the other when it was the gastro who prescribed. I assume a "course" is kind of vaguely arbitrary... they like to make out everything is precise, but that's often for diagnostic manuals and trials data IMO (drug depending ofc).

ljimbo423

I'll run this by my dad too just for that extra bit of guidance, he's in medicine..

Good idea. The more information you have, usually the better decision you can make.

Did you run your titration by your Dr?

No, I haven't seen a doctor in 10-12 years. I was seeing 3 doctors for several years, on 6-8 meds and was continuing to decline into severe CFS.

So I took matters into my own hands and spent 25-30 hours a week researching, for the last 11 years, so I could effectively treat my CFS. The good news is, it's working!!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

As in, you said you only did 100mg a day (first day?). Did you stick to the proper spacing but just keep the doses low?

I took 50 mg twice the first day I think. Then as I increased my dose, I started taking the med. 3 times a day, as recommended.

I assume a "course" is kind of vaguely arbitrary... they like to make out everything is precise, but that's often for diagnostic manuals and trials data IMO

I agree. I think how long the course is and how high the dosage is, depends of the person. One person with SIBO, might only need 1,200 mg a day for 2 weeks, to get rid of their SIBO.

Then next person might need 3-4 weeks, at 1,600 mg a day or even longer, to get rid of theirs. One size does not fit all.:)