• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Researchers discover that HBOT greatly reduces or eliminates pain in women with fibromyalgia

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Researchers Discover Possible Cause of Fibromyalgia

Researchers from Tel Aviv University have discovered that using HBOT greatly reduced or even eliminated pain symptoms in women with fibromyalgia, making it possible for many to quit their pain medication.

After this discovery, a group of researchers from different universities worked together to explore if this information can provide us more answers about the disease. Based on this new knowledge, they believe that the cause of fibromyalgia is an inability of the brain to properly process pain.

“[T]he most important finding for me is that 70 percent of the patients could recover from their fibromyalgia symptoms. The most exciting finding for the world of research, however, is that we were able to map the malfunctioning brain regions responsible for the syndrome,” said Dr. Shai Efrati of TAU’s Sagol School of Neuroscience and Assaf Harofeh Medical Center.

This is not the first time researchers have noticed a different response to pain in fibromyalgia patients compared to other patients. A 2013 study published in Arthritis & Rheumatism found that fibromyalgia patients had disruptions of brain signals that contribute to pain sensitivity, and that provided some explanation to why pain medications have been ineffective for this condition.

- See more at: http://althealthworks.com/8794/rese...omyalgiayelena/#sthash.BKki0GuH.5iUWLXhM.dpuf

perrier

From the photo it looks like they used the hard chamber,rather than the soft one. The article doesn't indicate the pressure required.

My daughter has done the soft chamber and on one occasion it truly helped after doing a good number of sessions. However, last year I rented a unit and no result whatsoever.

But the hard chamber is a totally different kettle of fish.

Thanks for posting this Sushi.

barbc56

Intriguing. The study was two years ago. I wonder if there has been any follow as well as replication of this study and if patient's improvement continued.

I am not familiar with HBOT nor how/why it would work. Maybe that information is in the full study.

Barb

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
I've noticed that fibro patients are treated by rheumatologists. They get stuck there in that diagnosis, with rheumatologists who have limited knowledge. When I talk with them, many seem to have dysautonomias. They've never heard of it. Their doctors have never heard of it. I have never seen any research on dysautonomia in FM. I think they are being greatly underserved.

Treating my son's POTS improved a lot of his FM cross over symptoms, including his pain. In theory Florinef is increasing his blood volume, and therefore oxygen perfusion to all tissues, much like the HBOT would.

Tired of being sick

Of course!

Now they need to find away to increase blood circulation from monophasic back to triphasic! .

Soon as the FDA approves surgical implant for Vagus nerve stimulation treatment for many illnesses!
As of now the surgery is only approved for epilepsy as far as FDA and insurance goes.

However the non surgical P-STIM device is approve by the FDA but is not covered by Medicaid and Medicare.
Some private insurance companies approve the P-STIM device for chronic pain.
Although you have to pay for it up front then your private insurance will reimburse you.
How much does one treatment cost?
One four day treatment will cost you around $960.00..
Have I just stumbled on the best possible therapy for CFS/ME/POTS ...
sb_safeAnnotation.png

Wayne

I think I'll start chronicling a story of a friend of mine who was recently diagnosed with CIPD, and is starting to do regular mHBOT sessions at my house (see brief description of CIPD below which came from THIS SITE). He'd only done two sessions before coming over today, and I asked him whether he's noticed anything so far.

He related that he was definitely able to think more clearly (brain fog is a symptom of CIPD). And he also said he's feeling the best he's felt since his CIPD started about 9 months ago, in terms of being in a better mood, and overall feeling more upbeat and happier. -- I thought that was pretty remarkable after only two sessions. I suspect the reason is that HBOT is supposed to be excellent for reducing inflammation, which appears to be a hallmark of CIDP.

Summary

Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) is a rare neurological disorder in which there is inflammation of nerve roots and peripheral nerves and destruction of the fatty protective covering (myelin sheath) over the nerves. This affects how fast the nerve signals are transmitted and leads to loss of nerve fibers. This causes weakness, paralysis and/or impairment in motor function, especially of the arms and legs (limbs). Sensory disturbance may also be present...

Anyone have any idea if there's hope of getting HBOT in the UK with a fibro dx? I'm assuming there are places where you can go privately and pay but assuming it's quite expensive. Is there any chance at all of the NHS paying for that sorta thing...? Assuming not =/

andyguitar

There was a debate in the House of Commons a few months ago about Fibro and if HBOT could be made available on the NHS. As things stand at the moment the Dept of Health has no plans to make it available. But the evidence it works is good so I expect that some MPs who support it's use will be working hard to get it made available on the NHS. But don't expect any good news in the near future @wearywriter