• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Research Study on Youth Ages 10-19 with ME/CFS (Remote)

This is being done by a member of Dr. Leonard Jason's research team at DePaul University:

We know that many youth have been diagnosed with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). We would like to learn more about their experiences so that we can better understand how to best diagnose and treat ME/CFS in adolescence in the future. We are a research team at DePaul University in Chicago, IL that has been studying ME/CFS for decades.

We would like to interview youth who have been diagnosed with ME/CFS during adolescence. You will not be required to provide an official record of your diagnosis. Youth must be between the ages of 10 and 19 and must be able to speak and understand English. Youth under the age of 18 must also have a caregiver who is willing to provide permission to participate in the study.

Participating in the study entails completing an initial 5-item online survey to determine eligibility, as well as an interview conducted using a secure, web-based platform. Interviews will be conducted with each adolescent and will last roughly 60 to 90 minutes. Participants will receive a $20 Amazon gift card for participating in the interview.

Thank you for considering this research opportunity. Please feel free to contact Chelsea Torres (ctorre45@depaul.edu) with any questions, or if you would like to be contacted about future research opportunities.

The eligibility questionnaire can be accessed at the link below. After all eligibility questions are answered, you will be asked to provide a preferred method of contact for interview scheduling. You will also be provided with a detailed overview of study aims and procedures, as well as relevant guardian consent and assent documents.

https://redcap.is.depaul.edu/surveys/?s=PNLNX83PP7