• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Research affecting decision about vaccines

Samuel

This might be the wrong forum; please move it if so.

Judy Mikovits speculated in passing in a TV interview once that vaccines might cause some cases of autism via XMRV. The idea might be that the immune system replicates, which causes XMRV to replicate. Is this correct?

Here is the question. Should a significant other of a severe sufferer get vaccinated for H1N1 or seasonal flu? On the one hand, said SO might have XMRV and might get sick; on the other, it might protect the sufferer (or might cause contagion?).

Comments, including research, please :).

A

anne

Samuel, it's terrifying us. I *THINK* our little boy is done with his regular vaccines, but I don't know for sure. We are facing this three-year-old appointment in a few weeks. We have decided not to do the h1n1 and we can't even get the flu shot for him--but I still don't know if this is the right decision. Just as we had made this decision I went into his pediatricians and they had a booklet of horror stories of people dying from vaccine-preventable illness. I just don't know. I've always been very anti-anti-vaccine in the past, but now I'm just stuck.

From what I recall, the vaccine most related to CFS is HepB. I haven't heard of flu vaccines tied in with CFS onset, just with worsening of symptoms for those who do have it. Anyone else?

L

Liberty

Wondering about Vaccines

Hi Samual,
I had allergy shots for over 20 years, starting when I was about 18 months old in 1958. Every week I had 2 shots.

I have had CFS for 29 years and wonder if these shot may have impacted my immune system so that my body reacts inapropriately to viruses.

Soooo, I am very leary about vaccines and I hope there will be more research regarding vaccines and autism and other conditions/diseases.

L

Liberty

Wondering about Vaccines

Hi Samuel,
I had allergy shots for over 20 years, starting when I was about 18 months old in 1958. Every week I had 2 shots.

I have had CFS for 29 years and wonder if these shot may have impacted my immune system so that my body reacts inapropriately to viruses.

Soooo, I am very leary about vaccines and I hope there will be more research regarding vaccines and autism and other conditions/diseases.

CFS after flu shot

My CFS started when I got a flu shot, and then got the worst flu of my life 3 days later. It caused an autoimmune white dot syndrome (immune attack on the retina) in both eyes, causing a permanent blind spot. It was weeks before I could even go out in the daylight, or go to work.

When I did go back to work, it seemed like I wasn't really bouncing back well. I started a gradual decline that led to me giving up my career 2 years later, giving up school after that, and my world shrinks a bit every year. I am working to stop the decline & hopeful about the new research.

Laura

acer2000

Check this out:

1983 vs. 2007 Vaccine schedule - CDC

Basically, I was born in the early 80s and pretty much got the schedule as indicated in the 1983 column (although I was born in 81). I never had a bad reaction to a vaccine when I was growing up. I also have only gotten the flu maybe twice in my life (pre CFS) despite never getting the flu shot. I had chickenpox, and it was annoying but not that big of a deal...

IMHO, many of the vaccines they recommend now for babies don't even make sense. Chickenpox? Flu shots? Rotavirus? Every year? Mutiple shots at once? All before you are 2?

eh... I think vaccines are important, but I am not sure they have tested all of these in combination and some seem pretty unneccesary...

acer2000

Actually a interesting study on Autism rates would be to do a study where you would drop back to the 1980 vaccine schedule (basically only the absolutely neccesary ones) in a large group of kids and compare the Austism rates in that group to the rates in the current schedule/group. There would be little risk to the study group (the major illness would still be covered) and if the Autism rates were much lower in that group, it would tell you something.

Of course the better study would be to compare non-vax kids to vax kids, but I don't know of any large population that doesn't vax.

S

SDD1244

An excellent review by Prof. Garth Nicolson on chronic bacterial and viral infections in neurodegenerative and neurobehavioral diseases:

http://sacfs.asn.au/download/Nicolson_6LabMedicine2008ss.pdf

Both CFS and autism are discussed. Prof. Nicolson discusses multiple vaccinations and autism and the fact that some vaccinations contain mercury and may contain bacteria in them. I believe 5% of vaccinations tested positive for mycloplasma infection.