• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Report on the WPI community open house. Aug. 21, 2010

Sunshine

Thanks so much for the account, richvank.

This:

made me wonder how many of the researchers at the closed Tuesday symposium were actually involved in proposing the name changes for both retrovirus and disease that we've all heard about here. If Dr. Lombardi hadn't even heard about it...

Good point. The wonders of the anonymous internet strikes again, where anyone can be anyone and fantasy is virtual reality.
(As users plugged into the matrix we forget the virtual part).

anne_likes_red

Cheers Rich.

I'm so pleased you were able to go....and it sounds like you met some interesting people!

Thanks very much for sharing. Much appreciated.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Thank you Rich for all the great info and being our eyes and ears.

I was most struck by the following

He (Vince Lombardi) thinks that perhaps XMRV causes immune system dysfunction in CFS, which allows reactivation of other, latent viruses that are in the body. He has a paper coming out soon that deals with inflammation in CFS, as indicated by upregulated cytokines and chemokines. He said that the stages of CFS can be distinguished by the pattern of these markers.

Wow, I can't wait for that!