• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Remembering Jonas Blomberg

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Hi guys,

Some really sad news I'm afraid:

Tocq_jpLnd-dCvxKHzsxwmvp0QJ_hAFqJKB1Bl-Ek0kLzjzQyBcJCsus1E99yTjkwYjs67JX6_9RcOfHiwuQhHKrn6PD6Yc5o4nZlkbVA7NkfKNwws0ueEF_tsZrtL2nREnorGCgOzFGBQlxZtwZJp7oha3vAh4Xf0UZeyVnJNj1NN_zTKflEXYlkGEgyshDBEpSvpk8hbPaiWA=s0-d-e1-ft

Our Friend Jonas Blomberg, MD, PhD

Dear Friend,

aFKLbAVttHbxAEkLklvomhMKUu0dlejeCGVKbydjh8UEfG2VzmJGIERnINsjLpQg1tuwAIjVB34tFbShZXrOz-sGUjV1Qop88Jj80xEsXK372QkPDwifmaqiIRY2Rfjf0w=s0-d-e1-ft
It is with great sadness that we report the sudden passing of our friend and colleague, Dr. Jonas Blomberg. Jonas was a brilliant researcher who began working in the field of ME/CFS through his work in retroviruses. Dr. Blomberg saw the urgent need for research in this field and shared his passion with our ME/CFS community. As a member of the OMF Working Group and an OMF-funded researcher, we worked closely with Dr. Blomberg to advance research. Dr. Blomberg was Professor Emeritus at the Department of Medical Sciences, Clinical Microbiology, Uppsala University in Sweden and an advisory board member of the Gothries Clinic.

Jonas was among the first people I met in my early ME/CFS related travels to Sweden. He was welcoming and warm, and open to new partnerships to help patients around the world.

Our hearts are with his family at this difficult time. Please keep them in your hearts and prayers.

With great sadness,
glA7cZmKjDbmh8TnrHaSrm1FZDRa0RhY0xQcMxAF8Os0eEHuYTRlu_G8kRra2BswFPsiY45lamM20X3iGGN7oRIAcLtMqNgBpyvpL0wjqAYweDqypfsGq9dLETXDcfEpSgnWKIg=s0-d-e1-ft

Linda Tannenbaum
Founder & CEO/President

www.omf.ngo

Ben H

This is very sad news. Such a brilliant, kind and funny man. My sympathies to his family and loved ones.

It is very sad news indeed. Every one of the amazing researchers and scientists like Jonas who work and fight for us are so, so precious to us and our community. Echoing your sympathies to his family and loved ones.

Ben

Sing

Our “old guard” of researchers and doctors, who have been pioneers, leaders, heroes and heroines on our behalf,are close to the end, and some have reached it. I also found Jonas Blomberg gracious and brilliant. We are so deeply appreciative of him, of each of them and their many contributions. I want to join with everyone here in appreciation of all they have given, and to hope and encourage new researchers, doctors, as well as organizers, fund raisers and great communicators, like Linda Tannenbaum, to continue in all this essential work. We are rounding the corner—that is how I see it. In recognition and gratitude....

http://investinme.org/IIMER-Newslet-190201JBL.shtml

Sad News
6 February 2019
Jonas Blomberg

Today we had the sad news that Emeritus Professor of Clinical Virology Jonas Blomberg from Uppsala University in Sweden had passed away.

Over the years whilst the charity has been making huge efforts to encourage and facilitate international collaboration into research into ME then we have come into contact with hundreds of researchers in different research fields, in different institutes and in different countries.
There are many researchers whom we have known who have become trusted friends.

One of those researchers whom we have called a friend of the charity and a friend of people with ME was Jonas Blomberg.

One liked Jonas instinctively from the beginning. He was the type of person who would always give an unbiased and objective view on science - with no pretensions or separate agenda.

Jonas was the epitome of a researcher with integrity, honesty, approachability and scientific skills.

JonasBl.jpg

Jonas came to one of our early international conferences after being encouraged by a member of RME Sverige.

Following that meeting we invited Jonas to our conferences and to our first Colloquium.
He was invited and attended every one of these events since that time.

Such was the level of trust and friendship that we asked Jonas to be a chair for many Colloquium sessions and sum up conclusions from the Colloquiums.

Integrity – always.

Jonas was scheduled to chair, once again, the Thinking the Future – Young/ECR Conference in London in May – having successfully chaired last year’s inaugural event. Jonas would also have been attending and chairing this year's 'Conference and Colloquium and Thinking the Future events.

The news of his sudden death comes as a major shock to all at the charity.

This affects all of us and is a great loss to ME.

Our memories of Jonas are of the best - and he will be greatly missed by all.

JonasBlomberg3.jpg

Ben H

Message from Ron:
Tocq_jpLnd-dCvxKHzsxwmvp0QJ_hAFqJKB1Bl-Ek0kLzjzQyBcJCsus1E99yTjkwYjs67JX6_9RcOfHiwuQhHKrn6PD6Yc5o4nZlkbVA7NkfKNwws0ueEF_tsZrtL2nREnorGCgOzFGBQlxZtwZJp7oha3vAh4Xf0UZeyVnJNj1NN_zTKflEXYlkGEgyshDBEpSvpk8hbPaiWA=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Friends,

I was very saddened today to learn of the sudden passing of my colleague Jonas Blomberg. I send my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

I met Jonas at the Invest in ME conference in London. Every year we had a meal together in which we discussed the state of ME/CFS research, what needed to be done, and how we might be able to collaborate. It was clear that he really wanted to make a difference for ME/CFS patients.

Jonas did excellent work on autoimmunity and shared his results with me and our Stanford ME/CFS Collaborative Research Center Working Group. I was so pleased that he was able to attend our scientific meeting last September. He gave a well-received presentation and his contributions added significantly to our scientific discussion. We planned to collaborate further on more detailed analysis of autoimmune aspects of ME/CFS.

He will be sorely missed!

yBSqfO3zhUIvMO4ZsmFOcln-cIuARTAFPIngaH5Dw5FFUJwhDY7KzLwktYR0V8qd6L8NPqri959dumv5Xadq7GZb2SzkcfRPFW_dZJgs0OBvHWIAZS-oA19FMmfTV-PN7mOsLq3yQp1GNm_FEGf47eGip-Wl1KY=s0-d-e1-ft

Ron Davis, PhD
Director, Stanford Genome Technology Center
Director, CFS Research Center at Stanford
Director, OMF Scientific Advisory Board