• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Relapse - best way to handle it?

keepswimming

So I've been ill two and a half years now, and on the whole I've had a fairly steady baseline. I've had crashes, but by stopping and resting they normally resolve and I can get back to baseline pretty quick.

This time it feels different. I crashed after having a virus along with some stressful events. After struggling for a couple of weeks I took some time off last week, went back to work for one morning, then immediately crashed again the next day. So this week I've taken the full week off to try to recover.

What do people think is the best way to deal with a relapse? Should I just rest rest rest? Or should I try to build my activity levels back up gradually?

I'm feeling quite anxious, I don't want to get this wrong.

godlovesatrier

The virus might have thrown things out of whack, you might just need extra rest to get over that to return to a steadier baseline?

Since I had ebv last year though my exertional tolerance has been pretty shoddy. Not sure what the ebv did but it made my ME worse I think. Even so I do think you should do what you're doing (extra rest) and then just trying to build back up after that.

There's nothing worse than the work anxiety, it's horrible. I don't blame you, but you might be fine. It depends if you have been struggling pre virus too, if you have that's indicative of an over stretch, if not then I would say you should be able to get back to where you were - it may just take a month or two.

I'm currently doing the cfs autoimmune herpes protocol, it's not made life easier yet but I've seen some fairly big changes on the whole. But you might need some sort of supportive treatment long term maybe, just to give your body support. Lots to suggest there, you're probably already doing a lot of it.

Wishful

It's soooo hard to know what the 'correct' approach is. Given that it's ME, it probably varies with the victim. For one person it's rest, rest rest, and for another it's gradual exercise, and for a third it might be major exertion ... and there's no way to know in advance which one is right for you. Choose your gamble and roll the dice. :meh:

From the stories I've read here, I'd say that rest is the choice least likely to worsen the problem, but that doesn't guarantee that gradual exercise wouldn't be the choice that speeds your recovery.

I went through a similar situation this winter: I abruptly felt worse, assumed that it was a viral infection, treated that successfully with elderberry tablets, felt better for a week or two, then developed a much stronger sensitivity to proline. This was followed by the anxiety of "is this now permanent?" I was daunted by the task of having to try all sorts of things all over again to see if anything helped. Luckily, while trying to make my symptoms worse for medical tests, I had a big meal of beef, and that seems to have at least partially--and very unexpectedly--reversed the sensitivity.

So, when facing the fear that this new decline in health is long-term, keep in mind that it is possible to find something that will help. It's that 'try things' lottery again, and it is at least possible to win.

Where's the beef (or whatever it might be that works for you)? :hug:

blueberry

Virus plus stress was the trigger for both my episodes of ME, I would have to say rest as much as you can to begin with, then try and find your new baseline. I know it can feel really scary, but do try to put yourself and your health first right now. take care.

keepswimming

Thanks everyone. Your support and experience has helped me feel less anxious and alone! And given me confidence that I'm doing the right thing. I'm going to rest as much as I can, and if I'm not significantly better by the weekend I will try to get a doctors sick note for next week. I feel anxious about having time off but it's better than pushing myself and getting worse...

It depends if you have been struggling pre virus too, if you have that's indicative of an over stretch, if not then I would say you should be able to get back to where you were - it may just take a month or two.

I was doing OK before this virus so hopefully that's a good sign that I can recover from it.

Sorry to hear you're struggling @godlovesatrier, EBV was the onset for my CFS, it's a horrible virus.

@Wishful that makes sense! I agree that rest is probably the safest gamble though...

@blueberry thank you. Yes a virus (EBV) combined with stress was the onset of my CFS too. You're right that I might need to find a new baseline for a while too.

Thanks so much everyone :hug:

Abrin

Thanks everyone. Your support and experience has helped me feel less anxious and alone! And given me confidence that I'm doing the right thing. I'm going to rest as much as I can, and if I'm not significantly better by the weekend I will try to get a doctors sick note for next week. I feel anxious about having time off but it's better than pushing myself and getting worse...

I don't have any advice for you since you've already gotten so much great advice from everyone already. I just wanted to say that I am here rooting for you while you are resting. ;)

So I've been ill two and a half years now, and on the whole I've had a fairly steady baseline. I've had crashes, but by stopping and resting they normally resolve and I can get back to baseline pretty quick.

This time it feels different. I crashed after having a virus along with some stressful events. After struggling for a couple of weeks I took some time off last week, went back to work for one morning, then immediately crashed again the next day. So this week I've taken the full week off to try to recover.

What do people think is the best way to deal with a relapse? Should I just rest rest rest? Or should I try to build my activity levels back up gradually?

I'm feeling quite anxious, I don't want to get this wrong.

@keepswimming John Mionczynski had CFS from EBV back in 1990, he drank teas daily for a month comprised of gumweed leaf, osha root, and desert parsley root, then rested as much as he could for 2 years until he was back to normal. Osha root is easy to get and cheap https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NE3FDWA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Gumweed leaf is hard to get it natively grows in gravely soil whereas the farmed version is nothing like the wild version, I was able to get the wild version from John. I have no ideas on desert parsley if the wild or amazon version's is better. Please let me know if there is any way I can help