• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reality is Very Weird and You Need to be Prepared for That (fascinating blog post on discovery of cure for scurvy)

Murph

:)
https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2022/01/11/reality-is-very-weird-and-you-need-to-be-prepared-for-that/

I.

Maciej Cegłowski’s essay Scott And Scurvy is one of the most interesting things we’ve ever read. We keep coming back to it — and we hope to write more about it in the future — but today we want to start with just how weird the whole thing is.

Scott and Scurvy tells the true history of scurvy, a horrible and dangerous disease. Scurvy is the result of a vitamin C deficiency — if you’re a sailor or something, eating preserved food for months on end, you eventually run out of vitamin C and many horrible things start happening to your body. If this continues long enough, you die. But at any point, consuming even a small amount of vitamin C, present in most fresh foods, will cure you almost immediately.

We can’t do the full story justice (read the original essay, seriously), but just briefly: The cure was repeatedly discovered and lost by different crews of sailors at different points in time. Then in 1747, James Lind tried a bunch of treatments and found that citrus was more or less a miracle cure for the disease. Even so, it took until 1799, more than 50 years, for citrus juice to become a staple in the Royal Navy.

There are several aspects of this 'second coming’ of scurvy in the late 19th century that I find particularly striking:

First, the fact that from the fifteenth century on, it was the rare doctor who acknowledged ignorance about the cause and treatment of the disease. The sickness could be fitted to so many theories of disease—imbalance in vital humors, bad air, acidification of the blood, bacterial infection—that despite the existence of an unambigous cure, there was always a raft of alternative, ineffective treatments. At no point did physicians express doubt about their theories, however ineffective.

more at link: https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2022/01/11/reality-is-very-weird-and-you-need-to-be-prepared-for-that/

The gist is 1. theories that *seem* to make no sense can actually be right and remaining open-minded as possible is a good idea. 2. science can get distracted by ... popular theories. 3. evidence is hard to interpret without useful abstract concepts, like, in this case, "vitamin".

Last edited:

Murph

:)
Perhaps "viral reservoirs are only in certain tissues" could be the equivalent of "vitamin c is only in certain foods." and "blood tests" could be the big distraction like "germ theory of disease" was for finding the cause of scurvy.

Maybe the neck theory is right? What else shouldn't we throw out?

Rufous McKinney

I retain the Neck Theory- during most sessions of Whats Wrong With Us...on the primary list.

Too many fingers point to the neck, and what was I doing rolling over in a car 18 months (no injury, they said)