• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rare Sharing of Data Leads to Progress on Alzheimers

Rafael

XMRV+ Member
Here's the link to an August 12th NY Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/13/health/research/13alzheimer.html?_r=1&ref=global-home

Describes a model way of scientific collaboration that seems to be everything PWME could wish for.

Its not science the way most of us have practiced it in our careers. But we all realized that we would never get biomarkers unless all of us parked our egos and intellectual-property noses outside the door and agreed that all of our data would be public immediately.

The good news is that it was the FDA and NIH who were key players in making this work.

"The idea for the collaboration...emerged about 10 years ago during a casual conversation in a car."

Please be a ME/CFS car out there somewhere.

leelaplay

I thought this article offered hope for us too Rafael. I believe Cort and the Patient Advocate both saw the similarities & potential and wrote on this (but neither article is showing right now - hopefully tomorrow).